Cable suggestions & H/T setup

GWklipsch

Hello!

Just got my new tv (Toshiba 43a10)and now that I have component input on the tv I would like to know what cables I can use. It seems like the cables that say component on them coast soooo much more then ones that are for comppsit use. They look the same to me, both shielded and 75u... Just the colors on the ends differ..I was thinking of using Radio Shack 12'composit cables will this work ok for my DVD hookup?

Also I am setting up the tv in the corner theres no room on a flat wall anywhere, I would love to see some pictures of corner setups for H/T's for some ideas with ours.all input welcome.

Thanks George

I use a Rad Shack Gold Series A/V interconnect for my VCR to Receiver to TV & it does just fine. The rule of thumb is co-ax is baseline, then Composite Video, then S-Video, then Componet Video.

You get a bigger improvement upgrading from Composite to S-Video than from S-Video to Componet Video.

Guess it depends on your equipment and personel taste and love of tweeking. I use Monster Cable Componet Video II Cable between my DVD and TV & love the picture.

Many places will let you demo their cables/interconnects, giveing then a try in home is the best way to decide.

I'm in the camp that thinks Radio Shack grade coax with gold connectors is more than enough.

I just can't accept the notion that it takes anything more sophisicated, or expensive, to get a signal across a connection which is, typically, three feet long. Even 12 feet is not much in the scheme of things.

I will not get on my soap box tonight, further.

Really, the RS cable is just fine. If you have money to spend, put it into some other other aspect of the system. Maybe even some DVDs or CDs.

I think you're on the right track of noticing that differences in cable are cosmetic and not electrical.

Congrats on your purchase. Let us know your observations.

Gil

gW, if you're asking if u can use composite cables in place of compon for a component hook-up then the answer is NO. the component

cables have a whole dif construction. if u could do that they wouldn't be selling any compon cables at those high prices.

sorry if that's not what u were gettin at.

Hi, boda12 Maybe I was lucky but after reading this post ( before your post ) and I took it as I could use composite cables for a component hook up so I tryed Radio Shacks gold composite cables and they seem to work great with the picture I was seeing on that tv we just got... it just blew me away! I just can't imagine it could be any better.I'll see if I can get a set of component cables from someone just to try out.Thanks for your input on this. Also thanks to every one else for their input. I think now maybe I just opened a can of worms.. I hope so! I would like to see what others are feeling about this subject. Does anyone have a H/T set up in the corner of their room that they could post some pictures of ?I really need some ideas. George

gw actually i was going w/ what i've been told by the retail "experts" - that the cables are dif inside. anyone?

glad that works for u. maybe i should try hooking the component outs on my dvdp to the composite ins of the TV(has no component ins)

biggrin.gif i'm just using s-vid now, but MY biggest prob is battling the stray magetism of my new KLF-30s frown.gif (about to put the bucking mags on the woofers)

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

gw actually i was going w/ what i've been told by the retail "experts" - that the cables are dif inside. anyone?

glad that works for u. maybe i should try hooking the component outs on my dvdp to the composite ins of the TV(has no component ins)

I think if you unscrew the RCA termination at one end of a "component" cable (or any video cable, for that matter), you should see that the inner wire is just a plain copper wire, but the other wire should be a braided shield that surrounds the inner wire (with insulation inbetween). I believe this is called co-axial (two axis).

Non-video (audio) wire with RCA jacks would have two insulated wires running side-by-side inside the outer insulation.

I think the intended benefit of using video (coaxial) wire for component video rather than audio wire is that the outer braid provides a shield against unwanted signal interference from outside sources, for a cleaner picture.

Boa - I assume you are joking about hooking your component video out on your DVDP to the composite video in on your TV smile.gif

Doug

GW,

Composites cables will transfer signals from component outs to component ins. According to the articles I've read, you would receive better throughput if you used component cables for these same connections. Component video cables have three separate coaxial RCA connectors on each end.

If you're satisfied with the quality of your display, that's what matters most.

ShapeShifter

yea doug, just jokin on that. smile.gif

so u guys are saying for a component connection u could use 3 regular video interconnects instead of the expensive component interconnect. in other words all you're getting w/ that component cable really is 3 cables together w/ color coded rca plugs?

Boa,

The enhanced picture quality associated with component video is lost, because the signal is converted into composite video when going through a standard video cable. Most of the loss occurs during the mandatory conversion back into S-video, performed by the comb filter in the TV. However the final picture quality should be no worse than if signal source was initially generated in composite video to begin with.

It's best to use component video cables to make a direct component video connection if at all possible.

shape, so the cable/wire composition IS of a different structure/makeup than just a reg 75ohm video cable. couldn't gather that from above. that would be refreshing to hear

instead of another cable ploy to get one to pay like $70 for a compon cable when u could get 3 regular video cables for like $20 or 30. biggrin.gif

Boa12,

There are some manufacturing differences between component video cables and composite 75ohm video cables. Such as, conductive and noise screening materials. The real pluses to well made component cables are their shielding, which rejects outside interference, and their ability to carry signals with a minimum loss. I've been told this is far more crucial in runs over 6 feet. I can visibly a difference in the diameter of the cables I use.

I admit that some manufacturers over state their products abilities and over price them as well. We have to be astute buyers and avoid those that ploy these deceptions. I'm a believer in experimentation and have tried various interconnects from different manufacturers. Some have proven truly worthy of the additional cost, at least to my eyes and ears.

i was told that, besides the dif between audio & video cable, that there is an internal design/construct dif between component video & composite video cable. that's what i was referring to above.

is there really a standard design/internal construction dif or is it more of a quality/features dif?

what i'm getting at: is there REALLY a need to get a $100+ component cable when u could get like standard video cable??? if so why?

just got a reply back from the tech @ monster

cable & he said same basic construction & if u can get video cable cheaper than a component cable go for it (features/quality aside).

so in essence appears just another cable ploy with these real pricey compon video cables -

well, u do get 3 assorted plug colors biggrin.gif

Dougdrake,

I think shapeshifter misunderstood what boa was saying. Sounds like he thought the discussion was about using the "regular video connection" vs the "component video connection", which will degrade the video quality, as opposed to a question about whether *WHICH* cables were used on the *COMPONENT* connections made any difference. My 2 cents - I have no idea whether cables on video make any difference, but it seems there might be a possible impact due to different high frequency bandwidths of various cables, which will affect resolution as measured in lines per inch, and effectiveness of shielding, which would, uh, do something.

Ray "...geez, back to audio..." Garrison

OK...I should state for starters that I do not personally own any video equipment that accepts or sends component signals...I am also certainly not an engineer...

I hate that the industry chose to name it Component...afterall component is the opposite of composite. Isn't S-Video a form of component signal...what about RGB or R minus Y, B minus Y, Y? Those are all different non-composite signals!

I would think that when using three separate RCA video cables to make a component connection, you should be careful to use the exact same length of cables so as not to cause any timing issues. Other than the length issue, I would think the only other advantage to using a single component cable would be the eaze of installation. As for "noise filtration?" I doubt that that would or should be a function of any cable...and I would think that three separate 75ohm video cables from Rat Shack would have plenty of shielding for this application.

Funny how Monster Cable and the rest of them like to "spin" there products...wonder why they aren't trying to market digital coaxial audio cables?

I now stand down and give up my soap box.

Dave "Eat My Zip Cords" Ungurait