center channel Heresies

bassetized

I piddled with placement quite some time (I ended up with a modified Heresy center) and I found that the best setting for dialog clarity was when the two horns were nearer ear level. This meant that I liked it either on its side or as you are thinking, upside down. For general viewing the horns laying horizonal left a wider dispersion that made the center much more effective off axis (that would match your upside down). The coloration from the different placement of the woofers was near negligible.

Lastly - this is above an RPTV and I have a preference for the Heresy to be up well off the floor (mains as well). If under the TV I suggest sitting right ways and angled up.

i think it's gonna have to go on top of the TV, otherwise it'll stick out in the room and according to Dolby, i'll have to pull out the RL's to keep things accurate. btw, with the high number of Heresies out there, howcome Klipsch, somebody--anybody come out with a suitable center channel to match? even a geek like me can see how awkward it is to put a Heresy on top of any display device...

when i start aquiring the center and surrounds, would anyone be interested in splitting a pair of Heresies?

thanks,

chels

Well you could use an Academy for a center channel, but with what they sell for you can purchase a pair of Heresy's. Another decent choice would be a KG 2.2V or 2.5V it should keep up with Heresy's without too much trouble at all. A KV-4 would work but it is not as well timbre matched due to the tractix type horn. I would try a KG 2.2V or 2.5V first I think it would work well. Even a KG-2 might blend nicely, I guess it comes down to whatever you can get a good deal on.

wow! that's pretty cool...but i'm afraid i'm not that brave! how does it match up? also, how far apart are your fronts and center? my Heresies seem to be able to throw a rock solid image at well over 9 feet apart, most experts seem to have LCR around 6'. the old school thinking about 3 channel sound was to provide center fill for speakers (especially Khorns) on wide walls. i suppose thats 2 channel thinking in a surround sound world.

thanks,

chels

----------------

On 4/28/2003 11:50:22 AM bassetized wrote:

how does it match up? also, how far apart are your fronts and center?

----------------

It matches perfectly. I don't know how to do the math, so I just had to build a few cases until I got it right. For the one in the pic, I got some dimensions from a speaker cabinet builder.

If you click on my home theater link, you can see the whole room. I am not sure of the room size, but the TV is 61", so you can get an idea from there. There is also a few pics of the center in pieces (with the subs in a car box) before I built a case.

way cool set up. i've thought about putting the surrounds on stands like ypu've done yours...did you sand or shot load them? i'd hate to drop a Heresy on my dog! also, are they in a corner, rear or side arrangement?

ya know, it was kind of hard to convince my sig other on a full on home theatre, until i said that i wanted to do it with Heresies. she can't stand the newer model Klipshes.

thanks,

chels

----------------

On 4/28/2003 12:28:59 PM bassetized wrote:

did you sand or shot load them? i'd hate to drop a Heresy on my dog! also, are they in a corner, rear or side arrangement?

----------------

Funny.. I have been asked this before. They are just empty boxes, but they are very stable the way they are. Since the pic, they have been refinished to match the rest of the wood in the room, such as the overhead lights.

If you look at this pic (during the re-decorate), you can see how far the rears are from the back wall. The room is very long. The second to the last pic on my web site shows where I placed them behind the sofa.

im006707.jpg

Well... I have to show my shots. If you follow the link below you can see both my naked center channel speaker and finished on top of the set. I used two Fostex 168 Sigmas for woofers and like Cyclone I couldn't be more pleased with the results. If you go on down the page you see the HT setup (really this is my music, TV and Theater all in one). Since Cyclone has a unique rear (side) speaker mounting I thought I would show a ceiling alternative.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

Just for fun take a look at my latest project - a couple of 2 Pi speakers (non horn) to hone my wood working skills. Nice sounding two ways with an Eminence woofer and Motorola Tweeter. Probably building some horns next winter...

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id62.htm

I love the rear ceiling mount!...

I remember looking at your center channel & wondering if I could do the same... I am really bad with woodworking. I am amazed it came out as good as it did. I had someone else cut the main board for me, but I had to do the driver cutouts... that's why they are so crooked. I have ordered the grill cloth & will be covering it soon.

I have a 27" set sitting on a 1972 Heresy on it's side. No problem. Of course, it has a woofer with an alnico magnet. If the one you are planning on using has a mud magnet, you may not have such luck. But, if you have a problem with a woofer with a mud magnet, bucking magnets are available from Klipsch. May or may not fix the problem.

Wow...

The tank is a 55 gallon.... with a sub right in front of it. The fish are used to it I guess.. they have never minded it. I have never seen more than a ripple in the water during loud explosions etc, & the subs are off for music.

BTW... It's not really as green as it looks.... Its just a green silk background on the back of it that looks bad in the camera.

I think that I have posted this before but this is how I mounted my Heresy Center Channel. There are more pics on my web site. Sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea. I need to retake the pics with my new digital camera. Also the magnets on the Heresy are fairly strong. On my tv the CRT's are on the bottom in the front. I had to pull the speaker away 2 feet before the effect faded. This is one of the reasons that I choose the top mount position. I figured out the angle by having friends sit on the sofa and I attached a cheap laser pointer to the speaker. I rotated the speaker around until the laser dot was on their ear. Simple but it worked out well.

Center Channel - Side View

Attached is my Heresy based center designed to match the timbre of my LaScala mains. Using the same vintage mid and HF drivers and a set of Focal 7" woofers provides an exact timbre match to the LaScalas. I'm very pleased and with an F3 of 54Hz, they are well rounded. The crossovers utilize Hovland caps and Solen inductors to provide the same crossover points as the original Heresy and match the sound of the modified A series crossovers in the LaScalas. The blending of the mains and the center is excellent. The cabinet design and construction is built to match the face size of the mid and HF section of a LaScala. The grille has the same dimensions as the LaScala grille. The horns are mounted vertically to make it all fit though there was originally some concern about dispersion patterns. After obsessing about it and calculating all of it ad nauseum, the dispersion pattern was found to be more than sufficient to provide uniform performance in my HT area. This has been verified by SPL testing. Of course, sitting arrangements in other rooms may vary and the performance testing verifies my HT room configuration only.

post-10812-13819247100822_thumb.jpg

The grille is original Heritage grille cloth. I put one of the LScala grilles on it for the photo so you could see how the finished product should look. I'm trying to locate a portion of the cloth for the center and a subwoofer that is under construction.