Help.....turntable!

rowooo

After waiting nearly three weeks I finally received my Creek Phono-amp. I hooked it up, dropped a record down and had a seat. The anticipation was intense. Then all a sudden I had the chipmunks. The table turns at a high rate of speed. I don't know if when I moved it I loosened something or what. I took the platter off and checked the belt and everthing seems to running fine. The table is an Bang @ Olufsen 2402 with 33 and 45 speeds. The table now turns both speeds at the same high rate. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Could it be something as easy as a wire coming loose? Any info would be appreciated. THANKS

I would try opening up the turntable and touching up all the solder joints. There may be a cold connection in there somewhere. If it's belt drive I would try a new belt. As belts age and loose their shape and strength they can strech and load up elasticity then like an earthquake suddenly release all that extra energy to the platter. I try to keep two unopened spares for my Yamaha PF-800.

Good luck!

I took the entire table apart last night and inspected everything. All the wiring and connections look fine and I was surprised at how clean everything was. I did notice the belt is running along a much lower line on the drum so I'm pretty sure I just need a new belt. Atleast I'm hoping that's it. The motor runs smooth and quiet so most signs point to it being the belt.

Can you help us a bit here?

Looking at it, can you tell us whether the change in speed is normally accomplished electrically, or on the other hand, mechanically. I mean in normal operation.

If it is a mechanical system, there is some mechanism which shifts the belt to a smaller diameter drum on the drive motor for 33 rpm. Maybe that is the problem. It might make some sense if you're seeing the belt running at a lower line on the "drum". This is to say, some mechanical mis alignment. But, Mr. R., which drum? The one on the turntable?

Even if you have a system where the speed of the drive motor is the control, if the belt shifts, it could be the cause.

If everything is normal, a loose belt would normally cause slippage, and therefore a slower speed, not higher. So, that is probably not the simple answer.

Gil

Thanks for the replies guys....I'm by no means an expert on turntables or the correct terminologies. William....It's a single belt, single drum table. When I looked really close to the drum,"don't know if that's what you call it", it showed a nice marking where the belt for twenty years had ran. Now it's much lower than that so thats why I thought the problem was loss tension. I thought if the belt lost some of it's tension between the spindle and drum it therefore would spin more freely and faster, because it has less resistance. The belt doesn't slip at all and spins extremely smooth. Just too fast. I'm going to pick up a belt possibly today so I'll let you all know how it goes....Thanks again...

uh, rowooo...

It's a bit difficult to visualize exactly what you're looking at, but many turntables have a motor that turns at one speed only. To permit switching between 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM they have a driver pulley (which I think may be the "drum" you referred to) that has two different diameters. Placing the belt around the part of the pulley with the smaller diameter results in 33 RPM, and moving the belt so that it's wrapped around the larger diameter results in 45 RPM.

(Circumference of pulley equals ¡Ç times the diameter. Larger the circumference, the faster the perimeter of the pulley moves, thus the faster the belt moves.

" TARGET=_blank]http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/angularvlinearvel.jpg

Ray

rowooo,

Does the drum you mention sort of resemble the same action as a bicycle's rear sprocket and chain? Meaning the chain moves to a different location on the sprocket. That new location being a gear that is either smaller or larger than the one it was on previously.

Ray....Your right. The drum I've been talking about is the pulley. The motor only turns at one speed. When I switch from 33 to 45 the belt doesn't change positions on the pulley nor does the spindle or motor casing adjust in any way to change the belts position. There is a slight difference in diameter on the pulley. As for belts...I'm 0-for 3 so far. Apparently B@O's don't cross reference with anything and it's a rare and odd size belt. I'll let you all know when I find something out....Thanks.....

A good electronics store (typically an independent.. NOT Radio Shack, etc.) should be able to help you find the belt you need. You don't really need a part number or anything. Typically, they measure the belt, subtract 10% or so from the size for age, and should be able to find you a matching belt, or at least one that is similar enough to work well. Good luck!

This is a shot in the dark. I don't have a clue about the actual design of the mechanism.

It seems that something was altered when you installed the new electronic equipment. So, threes suggestions of where to look. It is tough to do without picures.

1) Can you put things back the way they were before, electronically. I doubt it is an electronic problem but . . . Maybe a grounding situation, noise getting into the electronic?

2) Regarding the platter. The fact that the belt is at a different position sets off alarms in my head.

Is this something that has an outside ring which you lift off, and then you see an inside ring which is driven by the belt? The old AR's were like this.

Also, does the inside ring "float" on springs?

There might be some procedure where you have to hold down the inner ring while it is running to get the belt to ride up to the old position. Then stop the motor and put the heavy outside ring into position.

The other way the design might work is with the belt driving the outer rim of a one piece platter. If you can see where the belt comes off the driven platter, you might coax it up to the old position so that it feeds on the drive pulley at the correct position. Sort of like a bicycle derailer. This might also apply to a situation of an inner and outer ring.

3) It might be that the mechanical mechanism is okay and the motor speed controls everything. There must be a switch to switch between 45 and 33. Does that seem to mechanically actuate properly?

Silly last question. You're in "ne". Neitherlands or Nebraska, or someplace else?

Sorry I can't tell you more.

Gil

William....I haven't changed anything. All I've done is open it up to check the connections and wiring, and everything looked great. When I change from 33 to 45 I notice no difference in belt position or spindle position. I have found someone in Kansas City that can get me the correct belt, so I'm going to go ahead a try that. Hopefully that's the problem. I did try holding down the pully, stopping the motor and then setting the belt in the right position, but it runs right back down the pulley. Yes, Nebraska is right, about 30 miles northwest of Omaha. I'll keep you updated in my quest for some warm vinyl sound. Thanks..

Forgive me if I asked too many dumb questions.

I was also thinking that B&O headquarters is a lot closer to the Benelux countries than Nebraska.

I would enjoy hearing about the solution.

BTW there is a B&O showroom on LaSalle Street, just about three blocks from where I work. Someday I'll not be able to resist the call.

Regards,

Gil