buying a projector, any ideas?

Rpc Computers

For just a bit more ($1800 - $1900) you can get the very awesome Panasonic AE300 (also known as L300U)! Other suggestions in your price range though are the Infocus X1 and Sanyo PLV-Z1. These two come in my head because they are the most popular from avsforum.com . I really, really want that Panasonic one though!!

i own the sony vpl-hs10 and it is AWESOME!(lcd based)

however in your price range, you may want to look into a cannon pj or nec(integra)LT-150(z) IF YOU BUY DLP-BASED PJ, BE SURE YOU CAN RETURN IT!! seeing rainbows/headache/eyestrain can be an issue!

i know someone selling a basically new sharp lcd projector at a great price, and it's the same model i had before i bought my current sony.e-mail me if you wish.

avman.

Rpc-

You are looking for a projector for use with probably the two most incompatible uses. For a trade show, you want a "light cannon", you will need LOTS of lumens! Say a spec around 2000-3000 lumens. However, for HT use, you want contrast, contrast, contrast. Typically, the light cannons have HORRIBLE contrast ratios, I'm have currently borrowed our office projector and testing it at home to figure out what I think is important criteria for my particular tastes. Although its a few years old, its quite bright but the CR is spec'ed at 100:1 14.gif! For bright DVDs, its great but DON'T watch LOTR when they are in the Cave...can't see sh*t. So decide what you are going to use it for the most and suffer with the other.

-Dave

I have the Infocus X1 its light (under 7 lbs), moderately bright in presentation mode and has a 2000:1 contrast ratio. It also looks superb, yes rainbows are noticable, but that's because I knew what to look for, as of yet not a single person I've shown it to has mentioned them. And they don't bother me, they very well could bother you. B&H photo video usually has good prices and a good return policy, plus they carry the Z1 which is basically the LCD version of the X1, but by Sanyo I believe. They are in comparable price ranges, but there is a 100 dollar rebate on the X1 plus there was a free extended warranty.