Cornwall Finishes

Hello

Does anyone know, or know where to find out (silly question) where I could find out what veneers were offered as an unfinished option for cornwalls manufactured between 62 and 82. Specifically serial # 19T187

Thanks joshnich

Sorry but your post doesn't make sense. If your '79 cornwalls are unfinished, they do not have veneer. They would be unfinished birch. To see what veneers were offered check my post searching under "Zebrawood Cornwall Pics" where my first picture shows the list of veneers offered in 1980. There is an "Other" category but I would assume they would be pretty rare. I know tigerwood was one of those "Others." Hope that helps.

Hi joshnich and welcome to the BB!

Unfinished Klipsch speakers were made of raw birch. Veneers were put on finished speakers. The finishes offered can be found here. I know other veneers could also be ordered because there have been posters on the BB that have Cornwalls with other finishes. Hope this helps!

Just to clear something up...

My "used to be" unfinished, raw, nude, bare nekked Cornwalls DO have veneer. The veneer was unfinished, but it is veneer just the same. Maybe they were some sort of special order. Possibly "builder" can clear things up. Could it be that plywood almost by definition is always veneered?

Chris

I'm not HDBRbuilder, but I was a journeyman carpenter for 20+ years, and you're right, Chris. Plywood by definition has a veneer. For the most part (i.e. there may be a few custom variations), the birch Cornwalls were the only Cornwalls with a 9-ply, "regular" plywood (excellent quality). The other Cornwalls (oak, walnut, etc.) were made from what's called "lumber-core" plywood. I believe the motorboards and backs on most Cornwalls (regardless of sides/top/bottom veneer) were made from the 9-ply birch (as these parts were painted black).

I just wanted to clear up a possible perceived notion that all Cornwalls were constructed out of the butt-jointed birch ply, and that some got an extra veneer. I am not sure if the later Cornwall II's use plywood, lumber core, or mdf. I haven't seen one.

fini