Scott 299A from Craig

ssh

My Khorns got a fresh breath of air yesterday.I've been enjoying an heirloom Bogen 230A that Craig rebuilt for me recently.It's a pretty clean integrated tube amp.BUT yesterday I carefully opened my 'new' Scott 299A package that Craig sent to me.Pulling-off the bubble wrap,I was surprised at how compact it was,then,how absolutely beautiful.You may have seen the pictures he posted here.Thanks,Craig.You were right-on in describing the appearance & performance.When I asked him what improvement I would hear over the Bogen,he wrote,"More detail".I think he could have used a few more adjectives,because this amp is all I had hoped it would be.Considerably more detail,more depth of soundstage,and importantly for Khorns,a much warmer sound than the Bogen's.The Bogen has a stronger bass presence,but the 299A's bass is more precise.As much as I prefer to run an amp flat,it does have enough control not to be lacking.I don't think this will be an issue for me,even while playing R&R.I put about six hours of listening time on it last night:Rock,Jazz,Classical,and some 'easy listening'.I had so much fun that I didn't even hook it up to the LaS-I just didn't think about it-The wire was three feet from the amp & I didn't A/B them.I look forward to it, though.Thanks,Craig!

SSH1.gif

Steve,

I'm glad you like it thanks for the kind words. I told you it sounded great with the provided tubes there not bad at all.

You must of been writing this as I emailed you to ask how it was going LOL !! Are you running the amp with or without the Loudness switch on ? If you notice there is a Dot on the loudness side of this becuase the amp is intended to be run with it on rather than at the Volume setting.

Craig

Craig,

Yes,it's on.I read the manual first.Well,second-I saw how you had it set-up first,& thanks for all the hints(settings, post screws,etc.).I may play with the tubes & bump it down a little,like you suggested,since 3-4 is plenty of volume.Telefunkens are in transit,I hope.I couldn't resist.

SSH1.gif

You guys will like those telefukens 12ax7 tubes I have a set that I have been listening to for a few weeks now. They are a slight improvement over the electro hormonics I was running but not a night and day difference. Over all I really like them but I could live with either set of tubes.

Craig I have been real busy latly and I forgot to thank you for the tune up you did on my 299a it sound wonderfull, I like the bias tweek you put on it to, this sould make the bias a lot easier to do. I need to do that, althow I only have about 15 hours on the amp since I got it back weeks ago, just not enough time in the day to enjoy it with 3 kids and all.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be "blown away" by the Telefunkens. Unless there is a definite, identifiable difference I will stay with more economical tubes in the future.

After all, it was the tube sound I was after. I decided to give tubes a try long before the thought of NOSing up!

arfz28,

Yes you should bias it if you didn't do it when you first got it ! The tune up was my pleasure yours was one of the first ones I did and I figured you should get the benefit of all the tweaks I have picked up over the last year and a half !!

enjoy guys

Craig