Newbie to tube questions

I am considering buying a tube amp. For now I will listen with my RF-3's, and will later go back to my favorite... Heritage series.

Question 1 - I am considering buying a Scott 299, or something similar to get started. Good choice?

Question 2 - Does anybody else use tubes with the Reference series?

Question 3 - How many of us growing up with 2 channel are now getting bored with home theater, or am I just odd?

1) Great choice ! If Heritage is a long way down the road and your not required by the wife to have a case(current pruduction tube for these amps are to tall for a case) the 299C/D might be a better choice for 96 db speakers like the RF-3's but a 299 a/b will still sound great at normal listening levels.

2) I have RF-3's in my Livingroom HT and have a Heathkit AA-151 hooked to them and it sounds great. I have also had a EICO HF-81 hooked to them which also sounded great. I have also had a Scott 222C and 299A and 299C hooked to them before and they all sounded excellant ! The 299C sounded the best with the volume cranked with its extra 15 watts but at reasonable levels they all sound great. The RF-3's are a great value on the new market nice speakers.

3) Hardly ever use the HT in my Livingroom after I got it all tweaked my interest fell really fast ! In fact I use the tube amp to watch 90% of my movies. I crank up the SS for the heavy action movies only !

Good Luck in your search

Craig

1. Great choice. Moneywise and soundwise.

2. I don't use tubes with Ref series but would love to try someday. I wish more folks that did would post their thoughts here. There is a guy named "Dean G" on the boards that uses tubes with RF-7s. He may have good insight. If you try tubes with the RF-3s let us know what you think.

3. Since getting into 2 channel and tubes again a couple months ago I have not watched a movie.

Mike

I personally really enjoy my HT/multi-channel setup. I also enjoy my 2-channel mini setup. If I had to choose one or the other, based solely on sound, the multi-channel/SS wins hands down. Reason: concert DVD's and the sheer energy of multi-channel on that system. YMMV.

Keith