Dynaco ST-70 & EICO HF-85 in the mail!!!

Yes. Let the tubes warm up at least 2 hours before you begin forming an opinion. The 30's will probably sound better than ever before. Hope you enjoy your new toys!

Keith

----------------

On 5/7/2003 8:05:05 PM Craig6519 wrote:

We'll I'll hopefully soon be in tube bliss -snip- Any tips you guys want to give me? Craig

----------------

Tube Tips:

1. Plan for productivity to go to zero, then recover to approx 50% after a few weeks. I'm still at 50% after 3 months so can't really say if you'll ever be fully productive again.

2. Prepare to upgrade the other components, build interconnects, cables etc. because you'll be hearing stuff you haven't heard before.

3. Call the carpenter. You may need to move a wall or two or adjust ceiling height.

3. Get a larger CD rackmuch larger.

4. Reinforce the cushion in the sweet spot chair with Kevlar.

5. Install carpet runner between the sweet spot chair and CD player.

6. Find a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn--you ain't gonna want to have to deal with such trivia.

7. Take your wife out to dinner, buy flowers and really lay it on thickshe's going to need some nice memories of you.

9.gif

Jtice,

Tube Tips:

1. Plan for productivity to go to zero, then recover to approx 50% after a few weeks. I'm still at 50% after 3 months so can't really say if you'll ever be fully productive again.

2. Prepare to upgrade the other components, build interconnects, cables etc. because you'll be hearing stuff you haven't heard before.

3. Call the carpenter. You may need to move a wall or two or adjust ceiling height.

3. Get a larger CD rackmuch larger.

4. Reinforce the cushion in the sweet spot chair with Kevlar.

5. Install carpet runner between the sweet spot chair and CD player.

6. Find a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn--you ain't gonna want to have to deal with such trivia.

7. Take your wife out to dinner, buy flowers and really lay it on thickshe's going to need some nice memories of you.

Now that was great and oh so true !! Heck I miss my ST-70 already !! But knowing what is heading my way eases the pain 1.gif

Craig-O, I've been reading about the MKIII's and and your great expectations. Of course we'll be anxiously awaiting the report. I've been trying to figure out which amp to try next as well. C-6519, you see what I meanyou can't just buy a tube amp. That's only the first step.

My latest indulgence is a pair of Chorus II'sawesome presence. And just finished building a 12' pair of Beldon 89259 cables and shielded twisted pair interconnects from 89259 core.

Craig, I know you don 't believe in cable, but I'm telling you that the interconnects and cables together (not sure if one made more difference than the other because I did both as once) are a marked improvement. Still don't have serious moola in the cablesjust over a hundred for both. Also trying JJs for the output now and they're fine.

John

jtice,

I have never said that cables do not make a difference ! I'm just not willing to color the sound coming out of my amplifier with cables ! I want my speaker cables and interconnects neutral as possible. I want to hear my Source and my Amp and nothing more. I change my system way to much to be messing with cables as a tuning device. Also from a tech stand point I need to hear the amps I work on not the wire !

Craig

Craig, understood, but then that begs the questionwhat cable is neutral and doesn't color sound?

I figured that by rigging up a set of these I could a) experiment to see if it even made a difference at all B) end up with something a little better than lampcord for less than it would cost to buy monster products at an audio boutique. It worked out nicely and I'm done.

Not an overwhelming difference, but noticable without straining. Slightly tighter bass, cleaner highs, a little more detail. So these will now be my default cables, probably for the next few decades. 2.gif

John

I think we are all looking for that perfect neutral speaker cable. Out of curiosity, what cables are y'all using for your "reference" cables? How many types of wire and/or cable manufacturers does one generally audition before he/she finds that perfect "neutal" cable?

Or did some of us get lucky and find the perfect neutral cable on the first try?

I have found my Belden Cat 5 cable to be a great performer, as well as my DIYcable.com twisted cross connects. If I were to try something new I would probably give the Goerst cable that DeanG likes a good audition.

There is no such thing as a 'neutral' cable.

Resistance is basically fixed. The amount of wire (diameter and length, ie AWG) will determine the resistance.

Inductance and Capacitance are dynamic and relational. When one goes up -- the other comes down. They cannot both be 'low'. At least, this is my understanding.

With interconnects, the consensus of the cable freaks is that the lowest capacitance possible is best. I like the Cardas interconnects. I think the big dollar stuff is a rip off -- but I do like the 300b very much. Low capacitance, enamel coated Litz wire, cotton fiber and teflon dielectric, double shielded, a nice jacket, and beautiful rhodium/silver single ended connectors. A very nice set of interconnects for $130.

Never got around to trying the Jon Risch Belden designs -- but will someday.

As far as speaker cable goes, I just haven't heard anything that sounds better in my systems than the Goertz. With my horns and tubes -- Goertz rules. Low capacitance is great for interconnects, but for speaker cable -- it appears that driving the capacitance up, lowering the inductance, and netting a lower impedance between the amp and speakers is the way to go. I do have a nice set of Cardas Mircotwins that I bought for comparison to the Goertz -- and the Goertz pretty much crushed it in every area. Something very apparent with the Goertz is the way ambient information is revealed. I just think this cable gets out of the way.

Craig -- you're a wiener. I am getting ready to box up a 'gift package' for you. I need to send yours and Edmond's tubes back, and thought I would stick a couple of extra things in the box for you. You better freaking use them too!

Still got those hooked up huh? You should check them out late at night with the lights off, a good cup of joe and a smoke. They'll put you in the Twilight Zone. Any other time --- watch those tweeters big guy.

Uh well, that's not exactly what I had in mind.1.gif

Just think SET is best experienced under those kind of conditions. Sometimes I miss the Apollos for that. No big deal though, it just means I have to turn it up a little more to get the all there quality the Apollos gave me at 75-80 db. I think maybe since SET is low powered, some of it might be related to the amp getting into the tube's sweet spot sooner.

I just Mark's post. Funny. Might sound better to put the ST-70's on the woofers and something like the Paramours on the horns. I tried the solid state on the bottom/ tubes on the top thing once -- and thought it sounded wierd.

Ok, I've been playing it now for about two days off and on, first impressions were that the sound was a lot warmer than my old ss amp. I noticed the horns sounded more relaxed, if that's the right word for it. After several hours it seems to me that the bass is also tighter, not as hard hitting as it was before but tighter. I really like the way it sounds with vinyl!! I'm really happy with these and thanks to Craig for walking me through the Bias set-up and having a lot of patience with me. Now for a pair of La Scala's or Cornwall's 1.gif

Craig