Onix Rocket loudspeakers

KAiN64

elgrillo,

I heard the Hi-Vi towers and their borothers sold under the Swan brand name,they do sound quite good.

What got my blood boiling is the incredible claims made by some owners(equal to B&W Nautilus 800 series,or Dynaudio Contour)and these claims are not true.

Yes Swan/Rocket/Hi-Vi or under whatever name these pop up do not equal Dynaudio Contour or B&W Nautilus series.

artto,

You know I do not agree on all with you,buy the savings passed to YOU the good ole customer is a funny one.And yes when speakers are sold in stores you can A/B them with worthy competition.

Rocket/Hi-Vi/Swan knows most newbs will be impressed and keep the speakers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah! Those Rocket owners are all a bunch of easily-swayed, mostly deaf Newbies who fell prey to the clever internet marketing scam perpetrated by the folks at Onix who are piling up the money they are saving by not using dealers.

Hahahaha!!!

I hope y'all recognize how ridiculous this kind of "stuff" is and how it makes y'all look! Get a grip already.

Gordon

Recording Engineer

Klipsch Lover

Full 7 Channel Rocket HT Owner

SVS and Onix have chosen non-traditional business models. Both appear to have their customer base and both are growing. It is tough to ask someone to drop $2000 on a what if. I am very please with my SVS and will be buying one for my parents.

Gordon the things found on the different forum is laughable. It is all a matter of opinion. How is the set up? Did I read you made the pluge for the second ultra?

Scott

----------------

On 7/18/2003 7:48:07 PM bruinsrme wrote:

Gordon the things found on the different forum is laughable. It is all a matter of opinion. How is the set up? Did I read you made the pluge for the second ultra?

Scott

----------------

Hi Scott!

No problem. Psychoacoustics are an amazing thing. It is absolutely true that to someone who's ears are tuned to the Klipsch sound the Rockets will sound "dull". No fault. No error. The inverse is also true, which leads to some of the derogatory comments about Klipsch, which I feel are amazingly detailed and provide the best imaging that I have heard.

I can understand the concern that Onix is capitalizing on this phenom like many "high-end" cable manufacturers. Ain't so, though. They are for real and the Rocket sound is great for HT IMO.

I'm loving my setup. Have hosted a number of demos here with significant "wow" factor. My dual SVS Ultras have put me into the official "subwoofer overkill" catagory. 9.gif Photos here: http://www.sweetnancy.com/hometheater.htm

Peace!

Gordon

----------------

On 7/18/2003 11:02:57 PM TheEAR wrote:

Gordon,

Ok you are one of the few non newbs.
2.gif

Damn dont you see I was being my sarcastic self.Damn have a sense of humor

Soon Swan will be renamed Gorilla and feature four Tumult woofers per tower!

----------------

Hey, No Prob, Ear! Your recent post didn't bother me at all.

I guess sometimes the cheap shots get under my skin a bit. You're 100% right about not losing my sense of humor!! Got too serious in my last post. My prior one (pointedly sarcastic) was more my style too.

Gordon

Just Visiting

Nice looking speakers, but isnt horn loaded. Strange tweeter by the way. Just looked at the specs. 88dB that would be more close to dynaudios. (oeps) Go shopping for a good amp with some muscles to be able to drive them over 105 dbs, if they even can handle it?? Not to mention what happens with peaks of over 110db.

As for size. They are even bigger than RF-3s. So whats up with placing issues??

If RF-7s dont fit in the room you can go with RF-3s or RF-5s.

I would however certainly be tempted to go listen to them and inspect them when there is an opportunity. They seem (like on there website) to have a very nice build quality external as internal!!

Come on guys. Rockets have a place in this world.

They have a great price / bang for the buck ratio. Plus they are very forgiving to and work great with lower cost components. They sound better than 60-70% of the other stuff out there today.

You have to remember that the Internet is probably the best place to get information about HT products. Way better than the kids working at Best Buy, or Tweeter or any other dealers who are just pushing the products with better profits for the store.

If I developed a new speaker or subwoofer, I would probably follow the same marketing strategy that Onyx and SVS have chosen.

JM

I have read most of the posts here and I find a lot of the politics in the comments very amusing. Much has been said about the difference in sound between the Rockets and Klipsch speakers. I think that there has been one very big point that almost everyone has missed. If we were to compare their current best, an RS750, with our current best, an RF7 it would take 10 times the power to get the same dynamics out of the Rockets as we can out of the RFs. Since to me, dynamics are a large part of what makes home theater realistic and exciting this makes Klipsch the winner hands down. I currently run with 120wpc, I cannot see myself with 1200 wpc channel amps to achieve the same SPLs I enjoy. If we could ignore the cost of the bigger amps (who can?) then heat generated in the room would be intolerable! Although the rockets in and amongst themselves are great value by comparison to others, by comparison to Klipsch they are not "cost effective" because of their greater power demands. Of course one could always use the Rockets with smaller amps and just live with the resulting flat and lifeless soundstage that others rationalize as "laid back".

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 7/20/2003 8:28:29 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

I think that there has been one very big point that almost everyone has missed. If we were to compare their current best, an RS750, with our current best, an RF7 it would take 10 times the power to get the same dynamics out of the Rockets as we can out of the RFs.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Excellent point, Jerry! Big advantage to Klipsch on this factor. I too am a huge fan of amplifier headroom to open up a speaker's performance. This factor alone was my biggest stumbling block when I was deciding between Klipsch and Rocket. I'm running my RS750 mains with a Haffler 140w/ch (@8 ohm For the 6 ohm rockets, it's a bit more)power amp instead of my Denon 3803 (supposedly 110w/ch x7). I have no problems getting all the volume I could need or want and don't hear any straining, but I agree that that is not the whole picture. I would not mind running 200+ to them if I had it. Overamping brings out the best in a speaker and that's a lot easier to achieve with the Klipsch line than the Rockets.

Someday, I would love to put a RF-7 series (perhaps the RF-75's) up in my room to hear them, but with no dealers nearby since Tweeters lost Klipsch, I can't really see a way to make a shootout like that happen.

Gordon