Choosing a TRUE subwoofer

Bob_Collins

About the Mirage BPS400

The 12" woofers are opposed and face the sides.No woofers firing at the bottom at Mirage.

Yes the BPS400 has a good shake factor

At $1300 is a good value for HT.

However

For a bit more I prefer greatly a Sunfire Signature,its a good deal smaller and will leave the BPS400 in a bloody mess performance wise.Keep in mind the Signature is capable of an honnest 100dB at 20Hz and a wall cracking 117dB at 31.5Hz.The driver quality and capability of the Sunfire makes the Mirage look like they used dollar store woofers.

If anyone complains about any sound quality with the SUnfire let me say it loud and clear,the SUnfire does not have ANY upper bass punch.Its a true subwoofer not a woofer,like SVS its quite linear and does not have artificial extra punch.This if too often mistaken for "musicality".

Hey EAR

I appreciate the responses to my questions..and I hear what your saying about the signature series but those subwoofers are pretty expensive being $1900 USD or in my case $3000 CDN and me being almost twenty years old..I just don't have that much extra money for a sub like that right now especially since i just bought my JVC 56" I'ART. I was wondering if you had any comments about a equivalent to the signature series but at a cheaper price...referring to Definitive Technologies Supercube 2. Do you know if this sub can shake the house when watching movies??? & is it as good for bass while listening to music(dance music pref.) just like the signature does..and does it sound as good,etc.?And it has 1250 watts but whats the RMS output on this sub?????????????????

The specs are as follows :

Dimensions:12" W x 12" D x 12.5" H Frequency Response: 14Hz - 200Hz Driver Complement: One 8" long-throw polymer subwoofer coupled to two - 8" pressure-driven infrasonic bass radiators. Amplifier: 1250 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D Low-Level High Pass: 40Hz - 150Hz (variable) 12dB per octave Speaker Level High Pass: 80 Hz (6 dB per octave) Low Level Low Pass Filter: 24dB/octave continuously adjustable variable (40-150 Hz) plus Unfiltered LFE direct coupled input. Phase Control: 0 degrees - 180 degrees (continuously variable) Finish: Piano Black Gloss with a Black Cloth Wraparound Grille Weight: 38 lbs. Suggested Retail: $899 ea.

http://www.definitivetech.com

Thanx in Advance

Bob,

If you haven't already, check out AudioEnvy.com. See if any SVS owners around you will let you hear one. If not, maybe you could post here asking if they're any SVS owners around you kind enough to let you hear theirs.

I know you're having a hard time convincing yourself to buy something unheard but I want to suggest a soon to be released subwoofer from Adire audio. It's the Adire Audio Sadhara. It's available in a variety of finishes, has adire's patent pending venting system, but what makes it so special is that the driver will use XBL^2(like the Tumult) motor technology which drastically reduces distortion.

To give an idea of how low distortion levels are, people have burned up their Tumults by vastly overpowering them. Even at the voice coil's thermal limits, the driver wasn't audibly distorting so people were just pushing more and more power. Both instances I know of people doing this, happenned with a bridged Crown K2. That's 2500w to a single driver which is rated for 1600w.

If that's not low distortion, I don't know what is.

Sorry I did not test or hear the Super Duper Definitive cubes,yet.Do not trust the specs they advertise,as the frequency response does not even have a tolerance(+/- dB given).

If you can lsten to them and compare with Sunfire subs or any serious subs please do.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses, and recommendations. It seems that SVS is worth looking into, based on the remarks made by everyone here.

As for the BIG Velodynes, IF an HGS-18 can be had for under $2000 from an autohorized dealer, I'm there! I believe it to be one of the best subs on the planet, and is a legend in terms of subwoofers.

You may be seeing this post, or a similar one by me on some of the other forums, so please be patient with me, if you see it elsewhere. I'm just trying to make an educated decision here, and trying to gather knowledge from as many different and (hopefully) valid sources as possible.