The Joys of a Timbre-Matched System, or...

chuckears

Chuck-

I'll add my congrats to the list. I was in your shoes about 14 months ago, after a 14 month search. It is amazing the difference between the KV-3, KV-4, and the Academy. You'll really enjoy it. I would tilt it down. I did that with mine, on top of a 27" ProScan which is on top of a 28" TV cart, so the slight bit of downward tilt now points it right at my listening spot.

Gary-

We'll all be on the lookout for you. Academy is a good thing!

Cheers to you chuckears & hwatkins for understanding the value of an "adequate" timbre-matched center for HT... and, further, to seek the joy of timbre-matched monopoles all around. And you are exactly right, properly set up with an SPL meter, the individual speakers no longer standout on their own... but become a 360° seamless curtain of sound... with all the DVD movie ambience and directionality the sound engineer intended.

Lately, old hands and webmasters on other audio forums have invited me to discuss how consumers of other quality audio brands can turn their HT into 5.1 (or above) truly timbre-matched monopole systems. It is interesting that all of the vitriolic nay-Sayers have not heard a properly set-up system of timbre-matched horns. In the hundreds of folks that have been through the HornEd Klipsch Legend Theater in a Yurt in the past two months... not one has issued the standard "horn's hurt" complaint.

The neat thing is that a significant portion of those who have sampled the Eight Legend & Stacked Ultra in person have trotted off to buy Klipsch! Moreover, we seem to be gaining Klipsch converts from other brand's forums to which I have been invited to comment.

For all my Forum friends (and enemies), don't be discouraged by the techno-babble of the great unwashed... there are sounds that horns realistically produce that coneheads and planar-know-it-alls fancy. You just can't get ear-sippin' sound from "monster audiophile mash"... wimpy less-then-your-best centers... or ear-wigged-out sound-spraying surrounds.

Now I don't curse the folks who must settle for less because of a decorator WAF or acoustic chaff cluttering their listening area... but I don't appreciate their preaching out of the Book of Revelations (of ad copy) from the Bully Pulpit of Acoustic Ignorance. They treat us Timbre-Matched Monopolecats as if we were heretics. HERITICS!? Hmmm, I would think that the man (PWK) who built the brand that made Heresy a timbre-matched Heritage would find those who stand for flaccid brass from the dehorned mains and unnatural sax from timbre-fuzz surrounds as the real heretics. =HornEd

PS: The Academy was not built to be a center for what has become known as the Heritage line of Klipsch loudspeakers... and, thus, was not discontinued as a Heritage Center. The late great Mr. Paul essentially created the Klipschorn... and all the other "Heritage" speakers were originally created and tuned to be "centers" for the mighty K-horns. Only the Belle Klipsch made it into his own first WAF living room in Hope. The function of the center in those days was described by "Bell Labs Three Channel Stereo" that PWK favored.

The Academy is a fine speaker. I've used mine as a rear center for an otherwise all Heritage multi-channel audio system... anchored with a front array of Klipschorn's and Klipsch Belle... so I can ear-trip down nostalgia lane and enjoy classical "three channel stereo" in the finest Paul W. Klipsch tradition.

The academy may not have been built with "center for home theater" in mind, however, it just happens to be the perfect size for us WAFs and matches the timbre of our heritage speakers. I don't think my cornwalls were designed with "fronts for home theater" in mind either.2.gif

The Academy was, indeed, built as a center channel. I have a two sided original tear sheet stating such. "The Academy center channel speaker offers a sensory experience challenged only by today's high tech movie theatres." On the back: "The D'Appolito configuration of the Academy center channel, combined with a horn-loaded tweeter, provides a center point source, bringing audio and video together for true theatre dynamics." And so forth. Geez, I could probably make color copies and sell them alone on eBay!

Scotterdog - I have looked in great detail at your beautiful new DIY center. My problem is that I need one the size of an academy (24" wide or less). I guess a smaller version of yours would work (similiar to the academy) but I'm questioning my abilities (and time) to do this right. I'm pretty handy but I've never built a speaker. I know you've put many hours into this project and I appreciate the offer of info that all your research and building experience has provided. Maybe I'll take you up on it soon. For right now, however, the academy search continues.......