The OTHER side of the moon

cluless

sorry I got side-tracked...

My thoughts on the SACD....yeah especially cool, the effects are great/AWESOME in multi-channel.....BUT most of the multi-channel stuff was effects...voices...effects..and not music

I'm starting to wonder of multi-channel CD is a farce for music...Has anyone ever been to a "surround sound" concert...lol...

I'll have to get that SACD - The Dark Side of the Moon. I have it on cassette and just about wore it out listening to it. I don't have an SACD player yet, thus I have yet to experience multi-channel CD to its fullest. In the mean time, I'll have to listen to it as a regular CD (I hope my ancient, 12 year old, CD player can play it and not throw a fit when I try to insert it - this thing's so old that it does not even have a remote - but it still sounds friggan incredible - thus I saw no reason to bother getting a new one!)

You do have a point there - I have never experienced a "surround sound" concert either.

Clueless,

Yes I have been to a suround sound concert. It was Pink Flyod when they came out with Division Bell. They had a quad speaker array setup in the concert venue. It was truly a quad or surrond sound concert.

Jeff

----------------

On 5/8/2003 9:59:30 PM lancestorm wrote:

"It seems like you've been missing a lot of work recently."

"Well, I wouldn't say I've been 'missing it', Bob."

9.gif

One of the best funny-movies ever (along with Pootie Tang and Cannibal! The Musical!)

----------------

Another thumbs-up for Cannibal! The Musical! Truly the most spedoinkle movie I've ever seen!

fini

Excerpts from "Welcome to the Machine - the story of Pink Floyd's live sound: part 1"

Pink Floyds "AZIMUTH COORDINATOR".

A quadraphonic PA system, effected by additional speakers erected around the room and an early version of an amazing device, which has now gone down in Floyd folklore as the "Azimuth Coordinator". This elaborate name was given to what was essentially a crude pan pot device made by Bernard Speight, an Abbey Road technical engineer, using four large rheostats which were converted from 270 degree rotation to 90 degree. Along with the shift stick, these elements were housed in a large box and enabled the panning of quadraphonic sound. Sounds included backwards cymbals, distorted percussion, and fake birdsongs, and were played around the audience as the band performed. Waters explained at the time: "The sounds travel around the hall in a sort of circle, giving the audience an eerie effect of being absolutely surrounded by this music." From this point onwards, it seemed, the Floyd were destined to become pioneers in live sound. Nick Mason was quoted as saying: "The Azimuth Coordinator System might have been improved if we had simplified it by having four speakers 'round the hall instead of six. I am sure a lot of people couldn't differentiate between each speaker. If we can develop this kind of thing into an even bigger and better stage without getting too technically involved, we will be going in the right direction."

Next ."Sound-In-The- Round" .It was unlike conventional quad, the speakers were positioned FRONT, BACK, LEFT, and RIGHT in a diamond, with the FRONT CHANNEL situated BEHIND the band. A newspaper review described the performance as including "electronic and stereophonic effects thrust around from a battery of boxes and speakers. Edge of the world sounds shiver; footsteps clump around the dome; voices whisper; a train thunders; a jungle erupts."

THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Recorded over the course of seven months with the working title of "Eclipse (A Piece For Assorted Lunatics)", "The Dark Side of the Moon" catapulted Pink Floyd from their enigmatic cult status to the stadium rock elite. Released in March 1973, it signified the first major switch from their earlier psychedelic formula and set a new precedent for record production which Floyd continued to build upon. As was the case for many bands who molded their material on the road for some time before committing it to tape, the Floyd performed an embryonic version of "Dark Side" both prior to and during their sessions at Abbey Road throughout the whole of 1972. The live rehearsals for this new concept piece were initially held in January 1972 at the now-defunct Rainbow Theatre in London's Finsbury Park, and they were notable for both the first use of their new sound and light systems

When Pink Floyd embarked on the 1994 Division Bell tour, no less than 53 articulated trucks were required to transport the PA and lighting systems, projection equipment, staging, and all the additional elements which went into what has so far been acclaimed as the benchmark touring production of the '90s.

"Clueless,

Yes I have been to a suround sound concert. It was Pink Flyod when they came out with Division Bell. They had a quad speaker array setup in the concert venue. It was truly a quad or surrond sound concert."

That concert was simply un-freaking-believeable. I have NEVER EVER heard a concert performance in a venue that large (Jack Trice Stadium at Iowa State U.) sound that good. And it sounded good from every place I stood in that stadium - and I tried several spots.

I read somewhere - about the time of that tour - that Pink Floyd did acoustic analysis of EVERY venue played that tour, in advance. Teams were sent to inspect and do acoustic evaluations on the venues PF played during that tour, a couple of months in advance. The results were analyzed by computer and the sound systems were specifically tweaked for each venue. Also, PF toured with three complete setups - since it took too long to tear down and build that stage following each performance. So, after the concert, the stage setup used went to a show 3 scheduled performances down the itinerary.

The advertisement for the tour read

"Reinventing the Stadium Spectacular"

They did. I may never see any concert that large and technically sound again (unless they tour again). Absolutely amazing.

----------------

On 5/8/2003 8:56:43 PM cluless wrote:

sorry I got side-tracked...

My thoughts on the SACD....yeah especially cool, the effects are great/AWESOME in multi-channel.....BUT most of the multi-channel stuff was effects...voices...effects..and not music

I'm starting to wonder of multi-channel CD is a farce for music...Has anyone ever been to a "surround sound" concert...lol...
----------------

Yes Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead. Both bands would routinely (but not always) mount speakers around the stadium for surround sound effects. One of the goals (so I have read) of the multi-channel mix was to mimic how the music would have sounded in a concert. Also there is a bunch of bass coming out of the .1 LFE channel on this SCAD.

Laters,

----------------

On 5/8/2003 9:14:04 PM skonopa wrote:

I'll have to get that SACD - The Dark Side of the Moon. I have it on cassette and just about wore it out listening to it. I don't have an SACD player yet, thus I have yet to experience multi-channel CD to its fullest.

----------------

I say get it and play the CD layer. Even the CD layer is comparable to the best versions out there. And it's not OOP so you can get it for a song compared to other versions.

Skoonpa-

Sorry about the strange reference to scratches...when in reality I meant cracks. There are problems with some of the pressings of the Dark Side of the Moon SACD.

Article on Cracks . I often mult-thread and assume that everyone knows what I am referring too. MY bad.

What ever happened to quadraphonics anyway? And why did it go away? What were it's short comings. What are the differences between it and today's multi-channel? When I think of quad...I think of the Who.

Anyhow I'm really impressed with the quality of the SACD and I'm keeping an open mind until I hear a few more. Am I going off the deep-end here on the multi-channel bit here? Is the main focus for SACD quality or the multi-channel aspect?

Personally, I like the idea of the hybrid CD format, but thats another can of worms.