La Scala rebuild questions

Have just about got all the elements assembled for a La Scala rebuild project, including some nice ALK crossovers which FedEx is to bring tomorrow! Probably a week or more until I have a chance to come up for air at work, and then will get together with my brother in law for some garage time work with the scalas. I've got several questions I'm wondering about.

1. I've read several posts about folks rewiring between the speaker drivers to the crossover. What size and type of wire would be optimal for this?

2. Also, any advice on how to mount the horns square on the back of the motorboard. The K-400 horn is so heavy, it looks to be challenging to get it properly aligned. I've got a new cab for this, so no old holes from the factory installation.

3. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to mounting these drivers so that the horns flair on the front of the motorboard instead of the back.

Appreciate any advisement here. Thanks.

DaddyDee

p.s. When I get things together, I'll post some pics.

----------------

On 5/13/2003 9:03:21 PM DaddyDee wrote:

1. I've read several posts about folks rewiring between the speaker drivers to the crossover. What size and type of wire would be optimal for this?

2. Also, any advice on how to mount the horns square on the back of the motorboard. The K-400 horn is so heavy, it looks to be challenging to get it properly aligned. I've got a new cab for this, so no old holes from the factory installation.

3. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to mounting these drivers so that the horns flair on the front of the motorboard instead of the back.

Appreciate any advisement here. Thanks.

DaddyDee

p.s. When I get things together, I'll post some pics.

----------------

1. I used 14 guage which is about what the original wire size was on my 1979 La Scalas. I've seen pics of La Scalas here that had what appeared to be 10 guage. I asked the same question and haven't gotten an answer yet but I'm happy with the way mine turned out.

2 and 3. Defer to the experts on these.

Best wishes,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall from a couple of other posters, you have to take the driver off the horn to put the horn through from the front. Then the pieces all fall apart and can be fun to put back together. They should sound better mounted on the front, as the wave front from the horn doesn't have to suddenly go through the front panel with the top and sides parallel. But they do sound good on the back.

Marvel

You might want to put grippers on the bottom if they are on hard floor.I also would not mount the horn on the front.....you could click on my last ten postnd get some more ideas....good luck...i would ask HDBR...Andy...about the mounting horn on front.how to mount it on the back to...rick