The Carver Cube

That was the first of Carver's amps that used the multi-rail power supply which, in later incarnations, evolved into the "tracking downconverter power supply" as used today on the Sunfire amps. It was packaged in the little cube to emphasize the point that for its power output (200 watt/channel) it ran remarkably cool and was quite small by the then-current standards. It was a little noisey (in the output signal sense, not mechanical humm or anything - tended to have a lot of hiss) and, if it broke, was very difficult to repair 'cause of the construction. Also got really, really hot if you were driving low impedence or very reactive speakers. The M-400 morphed into the M-400t during the period when Bob was trying to convince everybody that he could build an amp that could emulate the sound of any other specific amp; the M-400t was supposed to sound just like a pair of big cj mono tube amps.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ah the carver cube.

One day in a local salon many years ago--a store which sold klipsch and yamaha and mac and maggies and other solid products--a sales rep came in and bodly announced that his "little cube" could blow away a heavy SS yamaha amp that was on the floor. I and the sales staff was curious and more than skeptical as the yamaha stuff had earned a reputation as well-built and musical.

The enthusiastic rep hooked up his cube and proceeded to fire up a record. Seconds later the cube burst into flames. The lead salesman at the store was in tears from laughter. I felt a bit sorry for him. This is my only memory of the cube.

jwgorman

A repair-tech friend of mine used to call the old Phase Linear (old Carver) the line of Flame Linear. Guess it really has merit.

Just bought a Carver C-1 pre-amp from eBay and has anyone here used one of these with a (I'm hopefully buying one) Rotel RB-1080 amp to use with a pair of KLF-20's? Right now I'm using the line in to a Carver Receiver so as to use the amp only and that sounds like crap!! Very little bass and excruciating mids and highs. Don't think that repositioning the speakers is going to help much (I found the ultimate place while using the Receiver only). It also gets loud very early in the volume knobs travel, I don't feel good taking it up past the 9:30 point. I'm hoping (naturally) the sound will be much more rounded with the a new amp.

------------------

Tom

Back when I was in college, my fraternity roommate had a Carver Cube that he thought was great. Until that one night that we were having a little party in our room and I had that thing just cranked right up as loud as it would go with my KG4's (no longer own) hooked up to it. All of a sudden the whole room smelled like smoke and the music stopped.....the cube was cooked.

So much for his ego for that being the "cat's ***"....he went out and bought a pair of Rotel monoblocks to replace it, now those were sweet amps.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Hope you got it on a GFI circuit.