Birth of my future home theater

Well gang...here's my future home theater room. Approximate interior dimensions will be 15' x 26' with an 8' center section ceiling and 6' tall side walls. Initial equipment will be my vertical horn Cornwalls for front mains, a RC3 for center, RS3 for side surrounds, my 1980 Heresys for rear surrounds, and my KSW15 sub. My trusty old Denon 3300 will do for now as will my dual tray Toshiba DVD player. Images will be displayed by my Mitsu 46" widescreen.

Future upgrades will be to replace the RC3 and RS3's with Heresys; a yet to be decided SVS will replace the KSW15; and the Denon will get replaced by a pre/pro and dedicated 7.1 amp. Of course, the TV needs to be bigger too and what will replace the Mitsu is up in the air. I'm still not sold on projections systems (for purely personal reasons), but the room will be wired in case I change my mind.

The wife has already picked out a nice Laura Ashley matt gray for the walls and a gray/blue/burgundy multi-tone carpet. Both of us can't wait for this room to come together.

Tom Adams

post-4338-13819247418894_thumb.jpg

jzoz01 - This is a brand new home. It's a Frank Betz plan that we modified slightly. The HT room is actually a bonus room over the garage and was part of the original plan. Luckily for me, when the wife & I started looking for house plans, we both agreed that the plan had to include a room that would be for HT use. Yes - I am a lucky man to have a wife such as her. 1.gif

jmon - You're right! It is a very nice neighborhood. Quiet, friendly, low crime, large lots, family oriented. We've already met several of our future neighbors. The city is Richmond Hill - just south of Savannah, GA

m00n - Yes...I think the room will be more than adequate. The neighbors I've met so far have already started asking for booking dates for things like HBO fights and the Super Bowl. The room size was also dictated by the extra 6 feet of garage width I added for my other habit - motorcycles!! 1.gif

The Hobbit - Good point about the insulation. I've already spoken to the builder about my sound abatement requirements and he's said no problem. The TV will be at the far end (short wall) where you see the framing for a window. Yes, we've already got some ideas on controlling light from that window. My audio equipment will be recessed into the wall about mid-way in the room.

Tom Adams

Tom

Nice. We put a bonus room over our 3 car garage too. It's our kids playroom great use of space, low cost per foor for living space. Good call.

Take lots of pics during building. Is nice to see whats in the walls etc when you want to make changes in the future.

I ran grey PVC conduit from Home Depot in my new house myself to run computer lines, speakers etc. this way I can re-pull whatever I want in the future. I also ran an extra 1 1/2 inch conduit from the basement to the attic in case I want to add electric lines in the future.

JM

Thanks j-malotky for the input. And yes - I will be taking lots of photos all along the way.

One of the nice things about this room's layout is there is accessible "attic" (if you will) space that resides just outside of the 6' high side walls and the back wall. And the house plan has provisions for doors on either side of the room to access this attic space. What this means is that, except for the wiring at the far end of the room (where the TV will be), I will be able to access all the cabling that runs from my equipment rack to all my speakers/video. However, I do plan to run conduit in the ceiling in the event that I decide to go the projector route versus RPTV.

Tom Adams

Tom,

I'm so jealous! I've been a carpenter for 25 years, and it looks like your builder knows what he's doing. As far as sound transmission, if you're really concerned, I've heard a lot of the sound transfers through the framing members (floor joists), and insulating the joist bays is only a part of the solution. Here's a site I located that explains and illustrates some options for dealing with soundproofing ceilings. You want to make sure whatever you do, that it meet fire codes. As far as the room itself, there seems to be a lot of room for hanging those acoustical gym socks previously discussed in other threads.

fini

• 3 weeks later...

fini -

Thanks for the link. Believe me....I've been reading as much as I can and posing many questions to my friends at Audio Warehouse to try and make my HT as good as I can afford. Notice the caveat, "as I can afford". Wow...left unchecked, it can get totally out of hand. One pretty much has to establish a budget and stick to it.

As for gym socks...ho boy...you wouldn't believe what I got planned. 9.gif

BTW - you see where that prodj guy went and stole my gym sock gig to protect his speaker from a door knob whack? Why da nerve.... 2.gif

Tom Adams

I see the floor extends only so far to the sides..is there going to be a kneewall there,or, is it going to extend all the way to the sides shown...seems like you'd be smackin' yer head. And there's not much room for the new k-horns that will be there...hint...hint...hint...

Elmoe - Yes, there are kneewalls on both sides. They are 6 feet tall and the ceiling rises up from there. Believe me - there will be no bumping of heads in this room.

But I'm glad you asked for I need to post a new pic or two.

As for K-horns....(sigh)....one can only hope. 1.gif

Tom

funny, you and many more who are geting dedicated ht rooms are living my dream, i have the gear now but i lack the practical space, the over garage ht is exactly what i want, it will be nice to see your system develope, as your tastes settle in, i am anticipating your review after you get those heresies, timbre goes a long way in listening enjoyment, good luck12.gif