Dark Side of the Moon SACD Analysis

They are finally proving what I have been hearing the past couple of years, CD recording levels that are being pushed to the limit and beyond. Some are so oversaturated they sound broken up and distorted even when played at low levels. This is where my DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Dynamic Range Controller comes in handy to push down some of the overdone transients on CD's. This link will provide some examples to what I am talking about as far as the how CD used to be recorded compared to what they are doing now.

http://rvcc2.raritanval.edu/ktek9053/cdpage/

"SACDs can't be read by computers, so to get a version of the DSD data that could be read by Cool Edit Pro, I digitized the analog outputs" (from the article) LMFAO. yeah right. That'll give you a DSD signal to make a true comparison. LOL. Those idiots really just don't get it.

Another fine example that John Atkinson & the rest of the schmucks at Stereophile & TAS don't know a damn thing about what they are talking about.

"This is where my DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Dynamic Range Controller comes in handy to push down some of the overdone transients on CD's."

According to what I just read with the link you provided - you're DBX 5BX wouldn't do squat. In the less than a handful of examples given regarding the clipped, or excessively compressed signal -- the data is gone. There is nothing to recover. The other examples showing the signals pushing up to 100% are fine as far as I'm concerned. What the hell is the difference between doing this, and having the VU meter bounce past 0 into the +3/red range while making recordings on a reel to reel or cassette deck?

The funny thing here is that I owned that Bryan Adams CD, and it sounded like sh!t -- along with just about everything else produced through the 80's. Further, this guy used two or three CD's -- and declares the whole industry has gone wacko. I don't think anyone can draw any real conclusions from what he presented.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 1:58:03 PM artto wrote:

"SACDs can't be read by computers, so to get a version of the DSD data that could be read by Cool Edit Pro, I digitized the analog outputs" (from the article) LMFAO. yeah right. That'll give you a DSD signal to make a true comparison. LOL. Those idiots really just don't get it.

Another fine example that John Atkinson & the rest of the schmucks at Stereophile & TAS don't know a damn thing about what they are talking about.

----------------

What is LMFAO?