Scott 299A and Forte IIs - How will they sound?

boomac

Gary,

Your in for a treat that is one nice cartridge. I heard it on the long lost Danocasters setup (whatever happened to him ? ) and it is a nice cartridge at the time I bought a M97E I just couldn't swing the extra bucks. I'm thinking of upgrading to that some time in the furtue for sure.

Craig

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In anticipation of the arrival of the Scott 299, what should I consider listening to first. I'm starting to get into vinyl but I may or may not have a quality TT by then. I'm much more in tune with how CDs sound and that format would seem offer the best chance to correctly evaluate the differences. Many of you have been through this process so, what might you suggest?

Just go with your CDs for now. You need to give it some hours before it really opens up anyway. Play tunes tou're familiar with then just play anything and everything (you won't be able to help yourself).1.gif Don't play any good vinyl until you get a decent cartridge. I'll mail the stanton out to you on Monday.

I successfully installed the Shure V15Vxmr tonight. It was difficult to judge the alignment due to the size of the head shell on my technics TT but I'm pretty sure it's aligned properly. I set the tracking to 1.5g and let it rip. I played an album I am intimately familiar with. It was a definite improvement over the stanton 681EEE but not dramatic. I heard a few cymbals and other notes I hadn't noticed before and all in all I found the bass to be tighter and the highs more detailed. I am certainly not dissappointed but I think the stanton was an excellent cartridge also and amaizing for its age (25+ years old). Boomac - I'll mail the stanton out to you tomorrow. I think you'll find it more than adequate for your purposes. Thanks to those of you who helped me out. - Gary

I'm going to ammend my prior post. I guess I was jumping the gun a little by posting after just 1 album. I just put on NRBQ Tiddlywinks and the sound is amazing. Crystal clear like I've never heard before. That's all. Bye. I'm going to go listen some more.9.gif

Today was a good day. I found out that my Scott 299 is on the table at NOSValves and will be ready early next week. Then, today's mail came an I opened up a very nice Stanton 681EEE Cartridge to be used on the TT that my neighbor gave me. Thanks Gary, I really appreciate it and will give it a go this weekend. It's too late tonight. I have to get up in 4 hours to head down to Olympia Fields for the day. This will be my first trip to The Open. I tried to qualify many, many years ago but never came close. Now I'll get to see some of the guys that always seem to skip the GMO. I hope to have the TT ready for the 299 audition. Me and the Forte IIs are getting anxious.

Craig & all,

Scott 299 and 314 arrived safely yesterday afternoon. We got them un-packed and placed on the rack but had no time to play with them. Yesterday was also my 32 wedding anniversary and my attention was elsewhere. We hope to play around later today and I will update all ASAP.

Boomac, where are we with the move upstairs? I can't wait to hear your CD vs. TT results with the Scott 299. I have Forte II's and newly purchased Cornwall 1's to compare. Since the Cornwalls have arrived I have ingnored my HT (forte's). As soon as I have completed the two channel setup I am going to bring the Forte's in for a test comparison. Currnetly I think the CW's have them beat, especially in Bass. However, I feel the Forte's are tighter in both bass and treble.

Was Boomac moving upstaits also? I think you meant me. I moved my 2-channel upstairs tonight, finally. The sound is so much different I still can't believe acoustics can make such a big difference. My wife is being a little difficult saying she understands why I would like the scott better than the kenwood but she likes the kenwood better. She says the scott sounds more "raw" , like a studio. I understand where she's coming from but raw? It is preference and the kenwood is a great receiver. The scott, however, is another world altogether. The musicians are in the room with you. Sounds come from the right places. Cymbols are behind the tv. At first I thought my ears were cloged. It was an odd feeling for the first few minutes (like I was light-headed). I had to turn down the bass and treble to below flat to find the right settings (very thick carpets). The speakers are about 9 feet apart (toed in slightly) and the triangle closes at about 10 feet to listening position. The soundstaging is great. I have about a million songs to listen to. Can't wait. My wife said, "This is your thing and you listen to music more than I do so do what you want." No argument about components or speaker placement (thank God). I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. Thanks to everyone who helped (especially Craig). And thanks to Chris and Boomac today as I came home today and found 2 packages on my front step. The Best of Louis Armstrong album from Boomac and veneer for my new heresys from Chris Robinson. What a great forum this is with truly kind and generous members!1.gif

----------------

On 6/8/2003 7:44:56 PM garymd wrote:

I set the tracking to 1.5g and let it rip.

----------------

Is that with or without the stabilizer brush down?

I've found that it plays best with about 1-1.1 grams at the stylus, maybe a tad more. So 1.5 should be with the brush down.

Glad your having fun with your new set-up. Giving me tube envy.2.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2003 9:55:13 PM Strabo wrote:

----------------

On 6/8/2003 7:44:56 PM garymd wrote:

I set the tracking to 1.5g and let it rip.

----------------

Is that with or without the stabilizer brush down?

I've found that it plays best with about 1-1.1 grams at the stylus, maybe a tad more. So 1.5 should be with the brush down.

Glad your having fun with your new set-up. Giving me tube envy.
2.gif

----------------

So far I've just played it with the brush down. 1.5 was the manual's recommendation. Sounds great. It seems to dig pretty deep into the grooves.

You are right Gary, I meant you. It really helps when the wife gets on board. My CW's almost did not make it into the house. After I unpacked them she came into the garage and said don't unpack them send them back, they are bigger than the Forte. After a bad Saturday I went to look at purchasing a pair of RF -7's. I came home and told her I could switch out wide for tall, but what would that change? Finally won her over. WHat a relief, and boy am I glad. The CW's have a great sound stage even using a BK st202 through a PAS3 pre. Using an antique pioneer cd player that skipped 2 years ago. Funny thing it does not skip now. Have a Phillips 963a on the way and a K500. Can't wait, hope the wife does not notice.

By for now, have to work occasionally.