- 2 Center Speakers better than one? i say yes for sure! -

SPL President

----------------

On 5/24/2003 4:35:09 PM DrWho wrote:

"Have two separate speakers producing the exact same audio is not a good thing."

wat's the physics behind that?

----------------

Your long, detailed post already brought up all the points I was going to make! Mainly I was going to mention that multiple point sources was bad and would likely make the sweet spot extremely narrow. And all the problems of the two speaker center could easily be avoided by just using another main as center instead! Since having three of the exact same speakers across the front is optimal, I just don't understand why anyone would use two center channel speakers instead. Furhtermore, those two center channel speakers likely cost more than buying another (single) main so again is just doesn't make good sense.

OK, the initial test results. There's good news, and bad news.

I placed 4 cornwalls across the front....2 mains, with 2 center channel (y split the center out cable from preamp into 2 channel amp > 2 cornwalls. Mains are toed as normal for 2 channel listening, centers are perfectly straight across and on thier sides, parallel to front wall.

The good news: This creates an excellent "washing" effect over the center and screen. It truly fills the hole...it makes your front end sound like one seamless transducer, provided you are on axis (and even most of the time, when you are not).

The bad news: the "sweet spot" vs. off axis can and do show anomalies in the center channel. As previously warned by others here, the sound is less perfect when seated off-axis. You can tell the effect of being two different distances from the two center channel transducers.

The problem: My room layout up front makes it difficult to place a full size center speaker, in the center, with symmetry. One on each side of the TV, though, is easy - either upright or sideways, as "lowboys". Two speakers assure symmetry.

I could do modifications to one of my Belles to make it sturdy enough to trust as a TV stand/center channel for a 160 lb. Sony, or I could build a custom center channel. I am hesitant to do either, since my room layout and situation is expected to change within a couple of years, in two possible ways: One by moving, the other by changing to a projector instead of a tube in this room. Both may happen in a year or two, making me hesitant to do speaker surgery to correct a problem that I may only have for a relatively short period of time. Once those issues are resolved, I may elect to build one, if necessary - but will avoid it, if possible. I trust PWK and crew's cabinet making skills better than mine.....

One more issue that the dual center channel solves - no magnetic interference with the TV tube. The other drivers are alnico, so if the woofers are far enough away from the TV, that problem is solved (especially if centers are "lowboyed" with tweeter/squawkers inside).

If only the woofer drivers were alnico, I would try this with the Cornwalls as "lowboys" with the tweeter/squawker on the OUTSIDE. I may pull the TV to try this, or use bucking magnets, just to see how it sounds.

On that basis, I am looking for a temporary, easy solution, so let the experimenting continue! I'll keep playing with this, but I am now hearing the "practice" behind the theory, and the fundamental flaw therein. So the question is, could I get a setup I can live with temporarily, while exposing a minimum of anomalies, for the sake of ease of placement and minimal work?

I also plan to try a single vertical, as well as dual vertical Cornwalls, just for kicks.