K 400 horns needed.

Hey there...

i have a few spare K400 horns and k55V drivers. But i live in Europe... shipping might be very expensive.

I would, however, since you have all the choice left, recommand you to pick up "better" horn lenses... like Altec 511B or like the EV SM120 i just bought... both are "sectoral" horns, not "exponential" and will give you better openess of sound and wider coverage... EV SM120 has the added benefit of being made from ABS or something like that, wich doesn't ring like cast metal horn lenses, and you don't even need an adapter to screw the K55 driver in it.

good luck... contact me if you want a set of k400...1.gif

Because in reality the K400 horn doesn't give you a full)range 90 degrees coverage... as it's a simple EXPONENTIAL horn, there's a "beam" of sound getting sharper as frequency increases... and it can make the sound harsh, along with reducing the "sweep spot"... if you take the altec 511b for example, this is a 90degree SECTORAL horn wich means that used in a klipschorn it'll give you full 90 degrees coverage from 400hz to 6khz...

i'm not making this out, there were a few posts about this on this BB already... it's "simple" physical laws...

now the EVSM120 I bought give you 120 degrees coverage, wich is "too much" for a k-horn maybe... i'll use them with LaScalas... but actually i'm not sure you can have "too much" coverage for home applications...

If you listen close while doing an A/B comparison

with the 511 and K400 you will hear the 511 drop off at 500Hz. The 400 is a 200 or 250 Hz horn which is crossed over to at 400Hz. The 511 sounds a little more open and not as muddy as the 400 which makes you like it right away. It's when you A/B material in the 350 to 600 hz range you find that the 511 is about 2 to 3 db down compared to the 400. This dip is one that really irritated me when I was trying different horns and drivers that sounded good in this area. The Klipschorn bass horn begins to roll off fast above 300hz. That's one of the reasons you need to use a 200 to 300 hz horn with it.

Hello

I would be interested in a K400/K401 horn lens only. (no driver). Should not be too expensive to post a package by mail from Europe. I am in no hurry, I dont need airfreight! What is the difference between the K400 and K401. Would they both accept a K55V driver?

Edmond

Montreal

I've used the 511B in a project, and really didn't care for it as much as the K401. Maybe I'm just used to hearing the K401 more. I don't know what it is, but I did an A/B test and never could get comfortable with the 511B. Maybe it's just personal taste.

Tony

----------------

On 5/28/2003 7:40:20 AM efzauner wrote:

...What is the difference between the K400 and K401. Would they both accept a K55V driver?

----------------

The 400 is aluminum and the 401 is plastic. That's the only difference.