small speaker chart

Malcom,

Brazilian rosewood ups the price tremendously. In the acoustic guitar arena, it will add aprox. $2000 to the price of a guitar. Most rosewood used now comes from India. It is grown as a windbreak on tea plantations, and is under a regular rotation for harvest. There are other woods similiar to rosewood (color and grain, and for guitars, similar tone), that are also not as expensive as Brazilian rosewood. Brazil is (believe it or not) being a bit more careful about what gets cut down now. It is still considered the best.

Marvel

Marvel,

You sound like a connoseur of fine musical instruments. Bet you would love the back on my Brazilian rosewood Martin D12-35. It was built just before the Japanese bought up the world supply in the late 60s and most manufacturers turned to Indian rosewood. For that matter, the back on my Barbero isn't bad either. Same vintage.

Malcom,

I have made many mistakes over the years, but one of them was selling my D28 to a friend of mine in the early '70s. I think it was built in '65. He now has a collection of about 10 or so. Including a '27 archtop Martin. His kids aren't interested at all, and he was considering letting me keep the D28 for him, so it would get played and cared for. He also has a D45 of newer vintage, and a couple of the D728 models (really neat 7/8 size D28). Right now all I have is a '40s era Gibson lap steel, '74 Guild F30R (Indian rosewood) and my '91 Taylor 812C, also Indian rosewood. It is the one in the avatar.

I've owned other Martins in the past. My brother in law now owns my '51 D18. Sweet guitar. Had a 0018 as well. The Taylor is the only small bodied guitar I have found that can compete with the Dreadnought size. It gets you maybe 80-90 percent of the way there without the size. There are lots of great luthiers in the US right now, but the prices are though the roof.

Marvel