A Weighty Cornwall Question

alex336

I would like to place my Marantz 2325 Vintage Receiver on top of one of my Cornwall I speakers. The receiver weighs about 49 pounds. I listen to most music (99%) at normal listening levels--usually DVD movies--classic rock (no heavy head banging music--not that there is anything wrong with that), & light jazz, classical, etc. Is this safe to do? I have seen many set-ups with some equipment resting on a speaker. Just don't want to hurt my Cornwalls--or the Marantz. Thanks for any help or advice!! (The receiver MIGHT fit in my entertainment center--there is about 1/4 inch to spare) Thanks again--this forum has helped so many people, including me in the past! Johnny1.gif

The little rubber feet on the bottom of your receiver might ruin the finish on the top of your speaker--other than that you should have no problems at all. The receiver will vibrate quite a bit at high volume, but I'll bet that won't matter at all . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Watch out for the rubber feet (a simple disc of wax paper would work to but may make it slippery, a cloth would work also..the thing is you don't want the reciever to shift and chip the edge of the speaker).

Now there is a big debate on whether vibrations effect eq both physically and acoustically...with something like Cornwalls pounding I am sure damage could occur over time..but at normal volume levels probably not.

I have a small TV on top of my Quartet with a towel under it...I don't play more than a loud conversation right now as I am living with others...but that will change soon ;)

This morning I saw a set of lascalas on this forum with glass tops which were custom made to sit on the top of the speakers. I assume they have little felt circle feet or something similar at the corners. I may do this with my cornwalls. It will protect the finish and allow you to place items on top. Looks pretty nifty also. Look for the thread earlier today regarding Dodger's Old Lascalas. Should be on one of the first pages. Just an idea.

I'd agree there will be no issue of damage to the Cornwalls. I built some similar boxes out of plywood and they were quite sturdy.

One potential issue is whether any piece of electronic gear is "microphonic". This is whether vibrations jiggle some internal component and affects its function. I'd be a little surprized if solid state gear has a problem. On the other hand, with tube gear, the vibrations might jiggle the internal structures of the tubes (plate, grid, filaments). In solid state stuff, everything is pretty much nailed down.

It is worth pointing out that the forum had reports of CD players shutting down, actually mistracking, because of vibrations from speakers. So you might keep that in mind.

Gil

The weight of the big receiver should actually dampen much of the vibration from the speaker. You might put some kind of isolation shelf (store-bought or homemade) between the receiver and the cornwall. That should give you the best of both worlds; the advantage of the receivers weight damping the speaker vibes, plus, the isolation shelf should absorb most of the shakes before it gets to the receiver.

I agree with James. I would at least buy and cut a piece of MDF or similiar material and place under the receiver. You could treat the MDF if looks are important. You might, as suggested above, place felt pads between the wood surfaces.

The TV on the speaker/towel is a bad idea. I've had disasterous cosmetic results in the past doing just that.

Keith