H/K 630 vs. H/K 430 comparison inside

Diggs

Just got my 430 today. Needed lots of TLC. Had cobwebs inside and a little pitting on the metal, nothing severe though. Cleaned it out real good. You could eat out of the 630 when I first received it.

Front of both are nearly identical, with the exception of the ability to adjust both bass and treble between left and right speakers on the 630. Pretty nifty feature for those with awkward rooms like mine.

Rear on the 630 has these odd screw type connectors for speakers. I had to go back to zipcord to hook up speakers. Very small spades might fit, but I need to order those. Curled bare wire around them and turned them down tight. Not an easy task mind you. I was scared the wires might cross, they're that close together. 430 was much easier. Simple spring loaded clips. Will easily accomodate my Z series cables.

630 has 8 extra jacks in the back: L/R Pre Amp in,

L/R Main Amp out, L/R FM Dolby in, L/R FM Dolby out

I have no idea what the last 2 are for (I was born in the 80's, give me a break 3.gif )

The main and pre's had these 2 metal U pieces connecting them. It's a good thing I just pulled them out, it took away that nasty hum I was hearing!!!!!! Glad I caught that before I went tearing through the system trying to find out the problem. Anyone know why these were there?

I have 2 pairs of KG-4's, so tonight or tomorrow I'll have a soundoff between the 2.

BTW, the 430 was $45 and the 630 was $67. Bargains in my book.

The U shaped pins on the back of the receiver connect the internal pre amp to the internal power amp, they must be in place for it to work. You can also use RCA cables but jumper them exactly like the pins. Those jacks are so you can use the pre amp and power amp independently. So for instance if the 430 has them you can use the pre amp section on it and run it through the power amp section on the 630. Or you can run an outboard amp and use the 630 as strictly a preamp by removing the pins and connect the pre out jacks to the inputs on a power amp. Hope this explains it.

----------------

On 5/23/2003 8:21:25 PM Frzninvt wrote:

The U shaped pins on the back of the receiver connect the internal pre amp to the internal power amp, they must be in place for it to work. You can also use RCA cables but jumper them exactly like the pins. Those jacks are so you can use the pre amp and power amp independently. So for instance if the 430 has them you can use the pre amp section on it and run it through the power amp section on the 630. Or you can run an outboard amp and use the 630 as strictly a preamp by removing the pins and connect the pre out jacks to the inputs on a power amp. Hope this explains it.

----------------

Excellent explanation. Thanks. Now, how to get rid of the hum that accompanies it....

----------------

On 5/23/2003 8:23:28 PM Diggs wrote:

Excellent explanation. Thanks. Now, how to get rid of the hum that accompanies it....

----------------

If those pins are like I am thinking they are then they propably connect the pre out to the amp in jacks using only the center signal conductor on the rca type jacks on the back of the amp.

I'm thinking that this hum might be a grounding problem due to the pins not connecting the ground, using some decently shielded rca cables might fix the hum issue. Propably the shorter the cable the better.

A number of older(and some newer) amps use this sort of set up, My NAD 3150 is one such amp, of which I am using only the preamp so I can run the phono section into my yamaha reciever because the power amp section of the NAD is fried14.gif.

btw, although diggs propably knows this the H/K430 does not have a true preamp out, only tape outputs 1 and 2. This being the case you have no control over the volume on the rca outputs.

In a post awhile ago DJK mentioned wiring a preamp out into the back of a 430 and I believe he said it was fairly straight forward.

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 5/23/2003 10:32:12 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

----------------

On 5/23/2003 8:23:28 PM Diggs wrote:

----------------

If those pins are like I am thinking they are then they propably connect the pre out to the amp in jacks using only the center signal conductor on the rca type jacks on the back of the amp.

I'm thinking that this hum might be a grounding problem due to the pins not connecting the ground, using some decently shielded rca cables might fix the hum issue. Propably the shorter the cable the better.

----------------

That sounds like a plan. Thanks.