Telefunken 12AX7

ssh

It took my post office 2 1/2 weeks to get my tubes to me after an ebay auction was paid for.They didn't leave an attempt to deliver notice until the second try 15 days later.Needless to say,I had questions for the seller,who had dutifully shipped the day after I paid.There was some stress,yes.

During the wait,I read a thread here about Telefunken tubes,suggesting that one not waste one's $ on them.There was some opposition to that,and some suggested the fault might lie in the condition of the tubes,or perhaps the preferences of the listener.

Simply put,I love these tubes & what I perceive to be a signifigant improvement in timbre.They are crisper in detail than the black plates Craig had in the 299A when I got it.To my ears,they accentuate the enjoyable forward characteristic of the Khorns & LaS,without being too bright.Some may prefer the warmer sound,but for my well- spent money,the Telefunken 12AX7's are appreciatively more detailed.

SSH

That seems to be the debate between the Telefunkens and other top rated tubes 12AX7's and 6U8's. They provide more detail, but tend to lack a bit of the warmth that you can get from other tubes. Both are very good options and I have changed them a couple of times after getting used to one set. I don't have a definite preference yet, especially with the 6U8's vs. 7687's, both combinations have pluses and minuses to them.

You will enjoy them a lot, but remember you can always experiment to see what the difference is. That is the joy of tube rolling.

Results can differ significantly depending on the of type circuit, component stage they're placed in, listener preferences, as well the sonic signature of other components in the chain. I do think most tend to agree that Telefunkens perform exceptionally well in Scott equipment.

Good to hear you received good tubes and they've made improvements to your ears...that is what counts the most!

Greetings:

As a user of Telefunkens myself, I enjoy them.

Now a bigger debate is whether you get smooth plate or not :)

With McIntosh, the originals seem to be RCA for the most - Richardson for the re-issue.

The original Bugle Boys were good also. Just make sure to look for the diamond in between the pins. There are some fakes out there. I found a number of "GAP COMPUTOR" correct spelling, that the ECC83/12ax7s made in Germany were Telefunkens. Bought 18 for $2.00. Didn't know what I had until I was checking the pins and saw the diamond.

Further debate is 7025 vs ECC83/12AX7, never tried the 7025's in my MC 60s. I did test some of my original teles and the original Genalex KT88s and they came to within 88% of new. Makes me sad when I see some guitarists change tube every show - eating up a lot of NOS tubes. 1.gif