OK BIG TROUBLE!!!!

NOZ

Ever since I built my own ALK crossovers, I've blown Three tweeters. One I thought was a fluke. I go and put on some music today, It doesn't sound right, so I put my ear to the tweeters on my mains....nada, dick, diddley.

I havn't cranked the system lately, well maybe for a movie..

but the center is still good.

I've had my LaScalas for ten years and have never blown a tweeter.

Do the ALK crossovers let a lower frequency to the tweeters causing them blow easier????

HELP!!!

Noz

Have you emailed AL K?

Could always add a fuse to protect them.

My guess is that you are cranking your receiver and sending a clipped signal to your LAS. Maybe look into components.

FWIW - I personally have never blown a K77 on my ALKs.

The Indy trip is in three weeks. Were all here.

JM

Hey JM,

I thought it was this weekend...Sorry.

This is very strange. Unless one of the kids let loose when I wasn't home. The HK is pretty clean. The 7000 never blew a tweeter, nor the 8000.

I know, I know....Mac's are in the future..we'll get there when we can.

I'll e-mail AL tomorrow, maybe I didn't hook up the ALK exactly as spec...15.gif

Can't be though, they sound great!!

----------------

On 5/30/2003 9:29:01 PM NOZ wrote:

Thanks m00n, Gawd it's awful without tweeters.

I know everyone in the "know", is in Indy this weekend, so I don't expect a quick response.

How's the HT shaping up??

----------------

Good. I layed my carpet last Friday and got two rows of seats in. Things were going great until I noticed my 15" sub went out on me. Oh and I am getting a H/K 72000 this week.

Oh yeah, the warranty is still good. I was going to send in the amp today but didn't realize I needed the serial number off the sub. So when I called today to get the shipping address where to send the amp, they told me I needed the serial number before she could give me a return auth number. So, I guess it will have to wait until Monday before I can send the bad amp in.

Assuming you DID build the ALKs as Al designed them, they are unlikely to be the cause of your dead rweeters. An over-driven amp is. The ALKs do let more low frequency get to the tweeters than your Type ALs.

You can do one of 2 things. Add the bulb and resistor to the tweeter circuit as shown in the attached schematic, or insert the dual zener diodes from your Type ALs. The diode trick is effective, but harsh sounding. The bulb and resistor smoothly limit the voltage applied to the tweeter, long term, and also comprise a 1 dB L-pad. Since the tweeter carries a rating of 105 dB/w/m, you will probably like this mod.

post-2142-13819247539552_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/31/2003 12:11:03 PM KAiN64 wrote:

m00n,

It's time to get a SVS.
2.gif

----------------

No man no. Quit happy with my RSWs. Besides if I give my money to SVS, then that is just that much less money Klipsch has for research and development of new products. 2.gif