Those of you with Scotts

garymd

I got my 299b today and I've been playing around with it for an hour or so. Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased! I've been listening to CDs with and without my Audio Control C-101 EQ. The EQ seems to quadruple the output. I'm sure yet whether I like it better with or without it. My question (stupid one): What do I hook up my TT to. Mag 1, Mag 2 low, or mag 2 high? I don't want to guess. I'm still a little scared of these tubes. It's my first tube amp. Thanks in advance. Yes, I'm flying high right now. Not a skeptic anymore.9.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. Right now I have an old stanton 681eee but by wednesday I'll be using a new shure (can't remember model # but it's the good one - v something, maybe v15mxv???). I have no current info on the stanton. It's 30 years old!

I just checked the stanton 681eee MK111 which is rated 3.5v. That's the newer version but I'm guessing I sould use mag 2 low. I don't currently have a manual. If anyone has one they can scan for me I would really, really appreciate it. Or give me a link to where I can download one. Thanks for all your help.

Gary,

glad you got things all sorted out and your loving your new Scott it sure was a beauty !!

Hey Ryan this is another Scott amp with horrible parts in your opinion in it !! There aren't any 25 cent capacitors in this baby !! Another absolutely satisfied customer don't you wish you had some !! Maybe if you quit using basement bargin parts you could get some customers of your own rather then hang out at a speaker forum for speakers you profess to hate !!

cheers Craig

When I get everything out of my basement and into a better acoustical environment I'll give a more detailed review. But let me just say one thing: THIS IS A KILLER AMP! The most noticable improvement was with the vinyl. Even with my 30 yr old stanton and my DD Technics that I bought in 1977 I was amazed at the sound. I listened to Edgar Winter's "Autumn" from "They Only Come Out At Night" lp 3 times. BTW Craig, I'm giving the nod to the EQ. Just like with my Kenwood, it just seems to tighten up everything but it still lets the tubes shine. I just hope it doesn't cause any problems down the road. I'm using it through the tape loop. Anyway, great job Craig and thanks again.9.gif

----------------

Hey Ryan this is another Scott amp with horrible parts in your opinion in it !! There aren't any 25 cent capacitors in this baby !! Another absolutely satisfied customer don't you wish you had some !! Maybe if you quit using basement bargin parts you could get some customers of your own rather then hang out at a speaker forum for speakers you profess to hate !!

cheers Craig

----------------

Hey Craig,

How do you REALLY feel about Mr. Inman? C'mon, don't beat around the bush, say what's on your mind! LOL!!! Craig, you are absolutely a joy to have around here. Seriously, I love you man! BTW, my 299 just keeps sounding better and better. Also, thanks for the biasing lesson. I actually performed a technical function and nobody got hurt. Lastly, Josh is salivating while waiting for his Scott.

Have a great day,

Chris

Any of you 299 guys also using SACD? Would love to hear your impressions of the pairing. Is it the possible end of vinyl?

I just got a philips 963sa sacd player because I heard it improved the sound of standard cd's. I hadn't heard sacd's before this but bought ONE disc out of curiosity. Didn't expect much difference and was completely blown away. Now I can't stand plain cd's any more -- too harsh.

In fact, the difference was so shocking that it opened my eyes to the potential difference between ss and tubes. (sorry for the "born-again" style rant, but I done seen the light).

Toddc,

SACD will never kill vinyl or redbook although it sounds very nice. The reason available titles and cost !

Chris,

I'm glad you loving your Scott another one full of horrible parts in Ryan's expert opinion that changes like the weather here in Michigan LOL !! If you chat with Josh tell him to really start getting excited his amp is going on the bench today !!

Gary,

Yea wait till you move upstiars and it has played for a few hours set it up with me thru email and we will do the first bias settings over the phone with me walking you thru it.

Cheers Craig

toddc,

I listen to SACD, LP, and CD. Craig is right about selection. I think there are something like 2 million CD titles available, whereas SACD has about 1000. And depending on what music you like, you may be able to pick up LPs for 50 cents instead of $13-$20 for SACD.

That said, SACD is a wonderful product and the number of available titles is going up all the time. If there are titles you like, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. Every SACD player also plays CDs, so you don't have to take one or the other. Same with vinyl--you don't have to listen to it exclusively. As long as you have a turntable and a phono input, it only takes a second to switch over.

Remember, a lot of what we react to is because of how it was recorded and mastered. You can have a great or an atrocious final product in any format. But with the same mastering and so on as much as possible, SACD will always beat CD.

All multi channel SACD titles have a separate stereo layer as well. There are no exclusive multi channel releases, and probably never will be. There is a vast market of stereo-only listeners and having a stereo layer is a requirement.

garymd,

You'd have to have 5 channels of amplification (plus optional sub) to hear multi channel. You could buy 3 Scotts and that would take care of it.

toddc,

I buy hybrid SACDs-some multichanel & some stereo only-that will play on SACD & standard CD players.Yes,there is a difference in sound.No,many of the titles I want are out on SACD.It sounds fine with my 299.When I play multichanel,it is through my receiver.

SSH1.gif