center channel selection

SteevieO

I need a new center channel. I have Forte IIs for my mains and HAD a KV-2 center channel being powered by a Denon 4802. The center channel recently sounded muted, voices were hard to hear, and I was getting crackling from the tweeter. I tried replacing the tweeter but that did not help.

What would be a good center channel to match my system and where is the best place to purchase? Now that Tweeter is not a Klipsch dealer my options for purchase is limited. Within 50 miles from Framingham, MA Perceys is the only dealer for reference speakers. Best Buy does have the Synergys. So online may have to be an option.

I was trying to decide between the SC-1, the RC-35, and (dare I say it) the RC-7. The SC-1, I can get at my local Best Buy for $299. Perceys has the Rc-35 for $399 and the RC-7 for $750. I liked the way my old KV-2 sounded so is the SC-1 a small upgrade and I will be satisfied by the sound? For $100 more will I be more impressed with the RC-35? Will the SC-7 blow me away or is it a waste given my Forte IIs? Any places people recommend online I can save some dollars?

Well i really could not tell you about the other speakers, but the sc-1 is a great center speaker for me it handles all the vioce greatly and the sound stage is impreesive. I upgradeded from jbl's ht4h. And I could not belive it . I got twice the proformence for half the price. I would reccomend them.

James

The Academy is the ideal center for your Forte II's, however they are hard to come by and when they do come up for sale they draw big dollars. If you liked the KV-2, I would look for a used KV-3 or KV-4. A Heresy or Heresy II would work if you could find someone to split a pair with you. Another Forte II would be the cats meow if you could squeeze it in. You might even try a KLF-C7, in fact there is an individual selling two of them right on this BB. Good luck with your quest it will be worth it!

Steve,

I'm in the same boat. I've bid on a couple Academy's but it's tough to get one. The guys are right though. It would be the best match. Other options: I have a pair of Quartets that share many parts with the Forte IIs. I have read on this forum that it's the mid that is critical and the Quartet and Forte II share the same K61 K1.5" mid and the same Tractrix horne. Crossovers are also the same and the tweeters are close. I'm looking into having someone re-do the front of a Quartet so that 1. It can be placed horizontal 2. Remove 10" woofer and replace with 2 8" ers to get the efficiency up closer to the Forte II.

My RC3 II is not up to speed with the Forte IIs