Benz Aesthetix ABCD-1 cartridge demagnetizer ?

NOSValves

Ok Craig,

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I bought one of these units about 6 months ago. And it's probably all in my head, but I did notice a difference after the first use. Sounds seemed "cleaner" and more detailed. A couple of weeks later I read a thread over at AA where some people talked about MC cartridges getting "dependant" on such devices. While I'm not sure if that's true or not, I can tell you that it does have some really keen flashing lights and seems to improve sound quality. BTW, I was also told you can simulate the same process by crossing some connections in your tt for a few seconds and accomplish identical results.

Chris

PS $120 seems like an ok price. Mine was $185 new.

Chris,

So what did you have to give for the unit ? I wonder what connections you cross to get the same demagnetizing effect. The theory makes some sense to me. My house at times is just full of static electricity and of coarse this carries over onto my vinyl. I just wonder if it also transfers to my cartridge.

Craig

PS did you get my email ??

I wouldn't let one of those gizmos anywhere NEAR one of my precious SPUs!!!! All kidding aside, I have never tried one of these and I've been told that it wouldn't be a good idea to use one with an Ortofon SPU--something about the transformer in the cartridge being damaged.

Right now I've got a Dutch Baby in the oven, a second pot of Peet's coffee brewing and Duke Peasron's "Tender Feelins'" spinning. Sunday mornings around here are pretty sweet!

Allan,

Glad your having a great Sunday morning 1.gif wish i was I have some weird problem with one of my Lascalas I'm trying to figure out ! I am not familair with the specs on your Ortofon SPU is a MC or MM. I have heard this device is not for MM's . I really have no clue and in this Smoke and mirror audio world you have to do some serious research before you lay down the cheese !

Craig

Some time ago I got myself the Sumiko Fluxbuster off ebay and like Chris I think this unit really clarifies the sound a bit: a little more space between performers and cleaner colours/timbres. Is is all true or wishful thinking? I am not sure but until as I find similar results when using a demagnitising CD in my system and none of my units has been damage (touch wood2.gif ) I'll continue using both devices.

Wolfram

The SPU is a moving-coil cartridge first introduced back in the mid-1950's that are still being made today! The version I have is the "SPU/T" (1960's vintage)which has the transformer in the headshell. You need a MASSIVE arm to make these sing--an FR-64 or SME 3012 or the Ortofon 12" arm for which they were originally designed.

I doubt I will ever use another cartridge again--I used to LOVE Decca London Gold cartridges with my old Linn, but once I heard the pure MAGIC of the SPU I have never considered anything else. They are the most musical, natural sounding cartridges I have ever heard. Think of them like tube amplification--warm, rich, lush. I cannot reccomend them highly enough.