Panasonic is made in...

jdm56

...Japan, Malaysia or China. Which is it?

I recently bought a Panasonic receiver, dvd recorder and dvd player for my humble HT rig, and interestingly enough, as I was hooking everything up I noticed the receiver was built in Malaysia, the dvd recorder in Japan, and the dvd player in China! ...Well, at least I thought that was interesting. -ha

Most of the cheapest electronics are made in China,reason being very simple the cost of labour is even much lower than in Mexico.

Labour in Malaysia is also cheap,as compared to the much more qualified but expensive workforce in Japan.

Sadly quality has gone down the drain since the japanese giants started making parts and doing assembly outside Japan.The prices dont always reflect this(besides the $99 units,throw away units)

High end DVD players and SACS players are still only made in Japan,like my three units,Denon DCD 3250,Pioneer DVAX10 and Sony SCD1.These units cost much more then the flaky one chip does all hoopla sold in mass market stores.

The Denon is the least heavy at over 40lbs,and both the SOny and Pioneer weigh in at over 50lbs each!

Me when I buy a CD/DVD or SACD combo unit its made in Japan or I do NOT buy.Period

For amps its made in the USA or Canada,speakers Europe or North America.For subs the USA.Tubes its USA or Russia

You guys want to hear something funny. There was a company here in milwaukee that made truck froms for ford and dodge. They moved most of the company to mexico. They laid off a ton of people. But they had to call them back because the mexicans messed up the frames so bad they had to ship them back to milwaukee to be fixed. You can't tell me that, that didn't cost more in the long run.

----------------

On 6/7/2003 6:07:58 PM easylistener wrote:

You guys want to hear something funny. There was a company here in milwaukee that made truck froms for ford and dodge. They moved most of the company to mexico. They laid off a ton of people. But they had to call them back because the mexicans messed up the frames so bad they had to ship them back to milwaukee to be fixed. You can't tell me that, that didn't cost more in the long run.
----------------

But on the flip side, Mexican made Ford Focus's are better (quality) and cheaper than the American ones - go figure.

I don't know...My ol' Nakamichi DRAGON from '83 was built in Tokyo, natch. In the mid '90's, I bought a Nakamichi DR-1 3-head cassette deck that was assembled in the Philippines...sounded just as good and the assembly was spot on. My ol' Carver components were built in Lynnwood, WA, and later I bought a Carver SD/A-450 CD player that was built in Japan...all had great build quality; couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. Hell, my Monster Power HTS 5000 line conditioner is designed and engineered here in the USA, but built in Taiwan. I would rather prefer an American, Canadian, European, and Japanese audio manufacturer to not only design their products in their own countries, but also build them there as well. But if the quality control doesn't suffer, and the assembly from Mexico, China, or Malyasia is just as good as their earlier products, then what the hell...so be it.