Time to spice things up

MD1032

All right, what can I do to my PM4.1 to make it better? Monster cable is obvious. What about sub addons? Can I add a sub to my PM4.1? It would be nice to get a fancy subwoofer that can hit lower than this one. This system is awesome and is definitely worth getting the best out of.

I have a SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1 soundcard.

I have my ProMedia v2.400s hooked up like normal. The HT subwoofer is hooked up to the .1 jack on the soundcard. I used an 1/8" jack to RCA converter... then a Monster Cable Splitter to 6m of Monster Standard Cable RCA to the plate amplifier.

In my Creative Sound Mixer I have it set up so that I have Bass Redirection enabled to the .1 channel. My crossover/bass redirection is set at 80Hz. The soundcard will redirect all bass to the .1 channel under 80Hz. The ProMedia system will do anything above 80Hz while ALL the bass under 80Hz is redirected to the Tempest. This way I can play the Promedia at EXTREME volumes without the port noise of the ProMedia sub because it isn't playing any real lows and the Tempest can pound out bass with authority. So much that I had my neighbour complain from next door.

2.gif

All right, but where how can I get my mixer to do this? It's just a small blue bubble with volume controls on it, nothing about crossovers. My mids are also a little weak, probably due to the flimsy cable I'm using that Klipsch gave me.

i found that the best way to "upgrade" a 4.1 setup (or any speaker setup for that matter) is to add a sub. monster cables? bah - u get way more satisfaction by saving that cash (that u wouldve used for better cables) and buy a better sub. IMHO, the stock sub hardly pleases.

It pleases me in clarity and volume it's just not as low as a fancy 400 buck sub. It's loud enough, that's for sure. Jeez, if you turn that thing up all that way you're liteally in danger of having something break. MY WINDOWS RATTLE!! 9.gif Not that it's a bad thing!!!!

this is how to make your own cable.

http://www.soundwise.org/mods/cablemod.htm

btw, i got this link from soundwise.org check it out. it's a pretty cool website.

and in response to your main question, i'm having that problem too, would love to upgrade my 4.1, but not sure what to get, planning to get another 2.1 to add it on. but don't know how to hook it up and not sure if it's worth to price. =)

p.s i've got GTXP, anyone got any idea on how to hook it up?

so stay in touch with the topic guys. 1.gif

I know that link. BTW, I have no expirience with making cables and plus I have no voltage meter. I do have a soldering gun though. I think it would be easier to get monster cable. Cheap links? BTW, cables aren't on my list currently. Sound cards are the next upgrade. Which one to get? I'm looking in the lower price range, so the M-audio revolution and Santa Cruz cards look good. Which one to get?

Well, I'll ask for the M-audio and Santa Cruz is the second choice. BTW, I found out something about my SBLive--it isn't the full thing. It's a "demo" version of the card that Dell ships with their computers. OMG I GOTTA GET A NEW ONE!!!

----------------

On 6/20/2003 6:51:12 AM MD1032 wrote:

Well, I'll ask for the M-audio and Santa Cruz is the second choice. BTW, I found out something about my SBLive--it isn't the full thing. It's a "demo" version of the card that Dell ships with their computers. OMG I GOTTA GET A NEW ONE!!!

----------------

There is no such thing as a demo version of a Sound Blaster Live, you may have the Sound Blaster Live Value or something that comes with your Dell. I once owned a Sound Blaster Live Value, and it sounded great. It was just a sound blaster live(also, NOT DEMO) sans the fancy software crap that I didn't need.

Well, whatever it is, it's not an SBLive because I don't have 1/2 the software the retail one has. I also don't have creative drivers, they're dell drivers. Dell ships this card with their computers and you don't have a choice but to use their drivers. I don't know if it's a 5.1 card or not. Is the yellow jack the center channel jack? It's a smaller port than the rest. I don't seem to have an orange jack, just that small yellow one.

there is no such thing as a demo version of a soundcard - u can have a beta version with beta drivers - but that would mean that u have something to do with the product's quality assurance process.

what u have, md, is an oem version. and they (dell) will not include all the software that comes in the full retail box version.

and there is no such thing as a 5.2 card (or a .2 system)... because that would mean u have 2 different sub channels.

look at the website for more info regarding the back of your live card.