just ordered the dark side of the moon, what can I expect?

prodj101

----------------

On 6/17/2003 12:27:37 PM Strabo wrote:

You should expect it to crack.
3.gif
Just kidding.

I feel that this should be in everyones music collection in some form.

Although I'm fairly burned out on it (no pun intended) I still find this album as one of my most listened to. And IMHO the 30th anniversary is the best version available.

----------------

That's my favorite version also (so far). I don't yet have an SACD player but it will probably be the first cd I buy when I get one. It was the first cd I played after hooking up my sub to the scott. Track 1 shook the rafters. I think I have 3 different versions to date. Yeah I'm kind of sick of it but it's a good cd to showoff your system.

----------------

On 6/17/2003 11:57:40 PM garymd wrote:

That's my favorite version also (so far). I don't yet have an SACD player but it will probably be the first cd I buy when I get one. It was the first cd I played after hooking up my sub to the scott. Track 1 shook the rafters. I think I have 3 different versions to date. Yeah I'm kind of sick of it but it's a good cd to showoff your system.

----------------

Funny, I have three versions also, Mofi UDI, 30th Anniv. LP, and SACD. Also used to have the UDII but gave it to a friend.

The wife wasn't too happy when she found 4 copies in the house. I had borrowed a friends Mofi LP to compare them. To her it looked like I had two CDs and two LPs. "Why do you need all those? They're all the same. I suppose now you need the 8-Track and the Reel to Reel version." I just laughed and said I'm down to three and that is all I'll ever need (I hope).

Funny, I have three versions also, Mofi UDI, 30th Anniv. LP, and SACD. Also used to have the UDII but gave it to a friend.

The wife wasn't too happy when she found 4 copies in the house. I had borrowed a friends Mofi LP to compare them. To her it looked like I had two CDs and two LPs. "Why do you need all those? They're all the same. I suppose now you need the 8-Track and the Reel to Reel version." I just laughed and said I'm down to three and that is all I'll ever need (I hope).

----------------

I have a friend with the 8-track version if you want to borrow it.2.gif

----------------

On 6/18/2003 2:19:47 PM garymd wrote:

I have a friend with the 8-track version if you want to borrow it.
2.gif

----------------

Wouldn't that be funny. I can see her reaction now. I'd do it if I didn't just get out of the dog house.

----------------

On 6/15/2003 7:09:25 PM Fish wrote:

Griff,just wanted to reply to your surround question.The surround mix I hear is very well done,maybe the best possible with current tech.It is very well defined in each of my speakers,the surround mix is pretty clear and actually is pretty loud on rears.Lots better than that kinda fake echo sound of some dolby,dts.I only have a modest system but it sounds pretty good to me,better than I expected given its age.If the first track does not blow you away,somethin's up.And if track 3 does not make your head spin,there's something you're missing,the surround is fantastic.

----------------

Damn. Now I need to go back and check the settings on my friend's system. Can't imagine what's wrong with it - the player detected SACD/Surround layer, the amp was set to 6-channel input, but it just seemed to me that everything was coming from the front three.

Hard to figure what might have been wrong with the setup, other than it was a relatively cheap ($280) Sony SACD player (go figure, the jackasses who invent the technology build a **** player to attempt to get the masses on board...)

Just as a troubleshooting note, the system consisted of:

Sony DVP-NS755 SACD/DVD player, interconnected with

3 pair Monster Interlink 400 RCA cables, to a

Yamaha HTR-5590 receiver

Fronts: JBL S-36 II

Rears: JBL S-36 II

Center: JBL S-Center

Rear effect channel: JBL N-Center

Sub: JBL PB-10

All wired with Monster XP speaker cable.

I'm quite convinced that this problem started at the front end with the player - no receiver can possibly screw up reproducing a 5.1 channel analog input.