Original Cornwall ll's on Ebay

joshnich

FYI,,

There is a pair of Original Cornwall lls on ebay - you know the ones with the mid range and the tweeter mounted verticaly. The serial number readible in the photo is 1FO12 - which is a different format than what is listed at

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

So I imagine that that they are quite old. They appear to be in very good condition.

The link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3030837373&category=14993&rd=1

Years ago (25 or so) I had a friend who had a pair of these. I have to admit that we didnt do a lot of "critical" listening back then - unless of course you count Hendrix at ear bleeding volume along side 75 of your best friends as "critical". But I would have to think that the sound would most certainly be effected by the vertical horn position.

JoshNich1.gif

I'm not sure how "original" these are.

1) The Pie Slice logo can be seen on the front without the grills on!!! You need to look close to see this. Are the grills part of the sale???

2) The backs (and the back edges) are not painted black which was the norm since 1962 on at least walnut and oak veneer Cornwalls.

3) He admits in the ad that one of the woofers has been replaced with a K33 from Klipsch. Doesn't say when.

Questions, Questions, Questions.

This is not to say for sure they're not original, but it would be wise to actual see them.

All good questions

I wondered about the woofer replacement as well. I couldnt help think that the water stain on the bottom of one of the speakers may have had something to do with having to replace the woofer.

joshnich

"2) The backs (and the back edges) are not painted black which was the norm since 1962 on at least walnut and oak veneer Cornwalls."

I have a '68 pair of Cornwall II, and they have a raw wood back with the serial tag intact - so no alarm here.

I would be concerned about the water damage on the cabinets more than anything.

I have a pair of '72 CW IIs with the book-matched vertical horn configuration. Apparently, there were changes from the ones up for auction (1967 according to the serial#). First, the grill cloth is stapled to the motherboard on which the horns are attached making it very difficult to remove the cloth. Next, the cabinet is oiled walnut and the back has been finished with walnut stain as well (if this wasn't done at the factory, at least whoever finished them did a perfect job of re-glueing the stickers). Other than that, I think the speakers in the ad are most likely stock except for the ferrite K-33 woofer. One thing I particularly like about the CW of this vintage is that the factory used a single piece of matched walnut veneer on the sides and top unlike my Khorns which have 4 strips on the front panel. Just a nice touch aesthetically IMO and probably the reason I'm having such a hard time selling these behemoths to get them out of my basement. Some would argue that the Alnico woofer sounds better but some also say that the newer magnets are faster and go deeper. Whoever buys these speakers will have the opportunity to try both and figure it out for themseves. Thanks.

The '72 heresys I just bought have the same stapled grill issue. Also, they are oiled walnut and the back is color matched to the veneer with original stickers intact. Actually, it's amazing how perfect the stickers are especially when the cabinets are in such horrible shape. They sound great though. I wouldn't worry about these vert mounts though. They look pretty OK to me.

----------------

On 6/20/2003 10:10:06 AM Frzninvt wrote:

So JBryan are you hinting that you have a pair '72 Cornwall II's with the vertical horns for sale? If so, talk to me! Where are you located? PM or Email me please. Thanks!

----------------

Either that or he has khorns for sale. I couldn't figure out which.

dndphishin,

When you say your grill cloths are removable how do you mean? By taking the motorboard loose from the cabinet or the grill cloth is attached to fiber board which is attached to the cabinet with velcro or ?

My take on JBryan's comment was he had some Khorn for sale.

Good2B,

The covers are removable much like the newer '80's vintage Corns are removable - which is that the panel attaches by velcro. This came as a bit of a surprise on my first inquiry about purchasing these, since I expected that the grill cloth would be replaced by removal of the motorboard, like the early '70s Cornwalls were.

I find the velcro removable grills to be very desirable.