Tube amp/Cornwall speaker demo in Houston?

jruhnke

Hi there. I'm a newcomer to the Klipsch forums, but I'm not a complete newcomer to the Klipsch world: I've had a pair of Cornwalls for several years now. Unfortunately, in all that time, I've neglected to match them with an amp or receiver truly worthy of their potential. At long last, I am ready to remedy that situation, and am trying to decide which way to jump.

After hearing all the praise for the wonders of tube amps, especially when paired with Klipsch drivers, I'm very seriously considering acquiring one and experiencing the joy for myself.

I'm realizing, though, that before I do, I need to get better educated about what I'm getting into. I have found a number of resources online that I can study for background and technical information on tube amps in general, and a variety of models in particular, but the one thing I can't get from surfing the web is experience on what these amps really sound like...especially in direct comparison to solid state amps.

Fortunately for me, I live in the Houston area. With four million people or so within a fifty mile radius of downtown, I'd bet there are two or three folks on this forum who might be willing to show off their cherished Heritage-series speakers (especially Cornwalls) as driven by their pampered tube amps.

Now I just have to figure out how to meet them. I feel rather awkward making a request like this, but if anyone would be willing to share their experiences and demo their setup with me, I'd be very grateful for the opportunity. Heck, I'd even be willing to donate a six pack of quality beer to the refrigerator of your choice! :)

I live in the Clear Lake area, but I'm not afraid to drive. Please drop me a private message or e-mail, if you'd be willing to introduce a fellow Klipsch fan to the wonders of tube amplification!

Many thanks,

Jim Ruhnke

jruhnke@alumni.utexas.net

(hope that doesn't put off any Aggies who might otherwise be willing to help!)

Jim emailed me, inuquiring about my HF-81 ... He's doing the wise thing and trying to "listen around" at different approaches (push-pull, new vs. vintage, SET).

Let's give him a hand for trying and being intelligent in his approach.

I "know" he'll end up with a killer 4W SET amp :)

Sorry Dean, Craig, Jeff :)

Thanks for the support, Chris!

And thanks to eq_shadimar for the offer. Dallas is a little farther than I was hoping to drive, but I'm sure I'd enjoy checking out your setup. That's an intriguing center channel arrangement you've got! Could be fun talking cars, too--I've got a '96 Mystic Cobra. (I bought her new, and she's one of the reasons it took me a while to find the money to put into nice home audio equipment!)

Jim

With a Cobra, you should be able to make it up to Dallas in about an hour! 2.gif

If you are intested in finding out about DFW area listening sessions with horns and many times tubes, check out the DFW horn group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFW_Hornheads/

Just make sure you don't say a word about the Dallas / Houston game last year and everything will be fine!

I don't think the Houston crowd has gotten organized yet, but this kind of thing has been going on in Dallas for about a year now. Similar groups have been organized even longer in Chicago and S. California, possibly other locations.

Hey, I have Heresy's, tubes and such in Houston. Email me if you are interested in that... I normally bring the stuff to the persons house so they can hear what it would sound like in their home. Cornwalls are much larger and louder, bassier, than Heresy's, but you can get an idea.

Jim,

I have the setup listed below in my sig at my house in the Woodlands if you want to come and take a listen. I know it's not Cornwalls but you could still hear what Heritage and tubes sounds like. You also have a great offer from Justin who I know lives closer in towards town than I do.

Although the MC240 is hooked up right now I would be more than happy to dust off the HF-81 and bring it out of the closet for you to take a listen to. It really is stunning how good an affordable vintage tube amp can sound. At least this way you will be able to see an HF-81 in person and hear it for yourself before investing in one....assuming that is the direction you want to go.

Shoot me a PM or email and we can work something out if this is of interest to you.

Ryan

Hi eq_shadimar,

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I recently moved from MD to TX and reside in the Plano area adjacent to North Dallas. During the move my Jolida 502B Amp seemed to have developed a short or something in that after un-boxing, it bagan to blow fuses and tubes. This amp was working perfectly before the move. Essentially, I am in need of a tube tech in the Dallas area to troubleshoot and repair.

Upon moving in, the first task was to set-up my system: (Jolida 502B heavily modded, converted to triode running EL-34's with fast recovery diodes, Jensen PIO caps, Tant resistors, DACT 100K attentuator, etc...; Ah! Tjoeb '99 CDP; and Cornwalls II's; Audio Note IC's; etc....). Once the amp went down, I had to immediately run out to the nearest audioshop (Tweeters) and picked-up a cheap Yamaha SS amp just to hear some music during the un-packing. Naturally, I am distraught not to hear my tube sound. Need someone to look at this amp ASAP as I'm going crazy listening to SS. Help!!!!!

Stan

Sorry I can't help you with a recommendation for a tube repair person in the Dallas area. I did all the modifications on my Fisher myself. If you want I would be willing to take a look at your equipment. I can't promise anything but if it is obvious I may be able to find it.

----------------

On 6/21/2003 11:36:03 PM Cuffclean wrote:

Hi eq_shadimar,

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I recently moved from MD to TX and reside in the Plano area adjacent to North Dallas. During the move my Jolida 502B Amp seemed to have developed a short or something in that after un-boxing, it bagan to blow fuses and tubes. This amp was working perfectly before the move. Essentially, I am in need of a tube tech in the Dallas area to troubleshoot and repair.

Upon moving in, the first task was to set-up my system: (Jolida 502B heavily modded, converted to triode running EL-34's with fast recovery diodes, Jensen PIO caps, Tant resistors, DACT 100K attentuator, etc...; Ah! Tjoeb '99 CDP; and Cornwalls II's; Audio Note IC's; etc....). Once the amp went down, I had to immediately run out to the nearest audioshop (Tweeters) and picked-up a cheap Yamaha SS amp just to hear some music during the un-packing. Naturally, I am distraught not to hear my tube sound. Need someone to look at this amp ASAP as I'm going crazy listening to SS. Help!!!!!

Stan
----------------

----------------

On 6/20/2003 2:56:03 PM Radiohead wrote:

Shoot me a PM or email and we can work something out if this is of interest to you.

Ryan

----------------

Hi, Ryan. I am very much interested, and have tried to contact you a couple of times via PM and e-mail. Could you please drop me a line at jruhnke@alumni.utexas.net, if the offer is still open?

Thanks!

Jim