bananas in plugs

boa12

using monster lock banana plugs for rf-3 for the 1st time (btw, those caps come out of the klipsch posts a lot easier than i figured).

probably a dumb lil ?, but aren't these plugs

supposed to go all the way in so that both bases make contact? mine stop before this so there's a lil gap between.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster XP & Z series cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

The expanding sides of the banana are where the primary contact occurs between speaker and speaker cable. Don't think the base of the banana plug itself contributes much additional contact area. The base is hard and inflexible, compared to the expanding sides, and it is not perfectly flat, so the contact points will be quite small.

I've found that a lot of banana jacks on crossover boards are much to, uh, short (?) or shallow (?) to take the full length of the plug.

I was going to make a crass comment about analogues in personal relationships, but we'll pass on that...

Ray

I use banana plugs on my Quartets and my KV3 and they too have a gap between the top of the binding post and the base of the banana plug. That is how they are supposed to fit, as Ray said the major contact points are on the expanding part of the banana plug...the base is of no use.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

bannana plugs are way cool! i'm using the single post variety (sometimes the duals don't line up w/ the binding posts on some amps) they also help in the showroom when you have to quickly change leads to a speaker.all of the brands of bannana plugs i've used and all of the speakers/amps i've hooked them to leave a gap. avman

• 2 years later...

Alright, just bought the Denon 3803. Made the speaker connections only to find my Left main not working. After some investigation, I found that the bananna plug I had used to crimp onto the wires wasn't as good as I had thought, the wires slid right out. SO: my question, are there better banannas to use, maybe some that have a better method than just crimping? When BI-wiring theres 4 conductors so that makes it more complex. Are there some that twist on? Crimping is just ugly and makes me uneasy, and has proved to be ineffective.

I tried just about all banaa plugs made and have found the #45-266 dual bana plug by LKG Indrustries rockford Il.

To fit and work the best The have nice hand tight tumb screws which is great as no tool is needed.

I found mine at You do it elctronics in Nedham ,Ma.

They only cost about 5 bucks each.

I never buy the over priced ripe off monster cable products again.

Ponoma (SP)has been the standard brand for many years in the Pro Sound market. That said - is just picked up a VERY nice set at Radio Shack of 24k gold plated solderless bananas - 5.99/pair - Nicely machined color codes, very easy to use, and make a very solid connection with the wire.