Remodeling Finally Complete

garymd

Except for new furniture and wall decor (still looking). Spent the day moving my HT back upstairs. Quite a task, especially with cornwalls up a tight staircase. I got to hear my RSW-12 for the first time. Unbelievable difference compared to the Mirage LF10! The room really looks great. My wife did an excellent job I must say. I got to spend about 1/2 hour scanning through T2 before my wife and daughter took over with Harry Potter. I was upstairs in the shower and the floor was shaking underneath me. Tomorrow night I move the 2-channel gear. 4 months I've waited patiently. Looks to have been worth the wait. I'll soon find out how the corns & tubes sound with that ultr-plush carpet.9.gif

As much as we all covet good gear, I think anyone who's even half serious dreams of having a room _dedicated_ to sound and movies.

No living room traffic running through your sound room,

no concessions to be made for aesthetics,

no comprimises on gear placement because a lamp needed to go there

If I had to choose between the best gear in the world or just having a dedicated room. . .

I hear what you're saying but us married guys who have wives who like to watch movies have to compromise. Some day I'd like to build a music room in the basement for just me. Designed with khorns in mind. The only room in the house that would do them justice is our 14x26 living room but with the baby grand and fireplace, my wife has the corners occupied (nice hardwood floors too). Actually, our house is 40 years old and the family room is the only room without hardwood floors (not counting kitchen & bathrooms). Plus, there are 2 fireplaces on the first level. Both added by previous owner.

----------------

On 6/20/2003 10:28:43 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Oh, my mistake, I thought your remodeling was in fact your creation of a dedicated room
:(

----------------

Unfortunately no. No thought of acoustics went into the design, although the room does have preety good acoustics already. There are 2 sets of doors on the back wall which is why I had to settle for small surrounds. They're actually on the rear of the side walls facing each other (one on a built-in bookcase and the other on a cabinet purchased just to sit a speaker on). I'd like to try and fit my heresys there but they're so beat up right now she won't let them in the room. Even with the volume cranked all the way up on the surrounds, I don't get enough sound out of them.

I'm in much the same boat because I don't have an extra room in my current house. However, my woman is very easy going and she's a little bit excited about the idea of a movie room as well so it shouldn't be a problem to get a HT room in the next house.

My rear Heresy's were really beat up also. I bought them for $200 from a couple that gave me the impression they were into heavy drugs. These things had really been abused. I also had to replace the tweeters.

I just sanded them with a power sander & stained them the same color as the Belle's. They came out really good considering I am terrible with wood.

Here is a before & after pic: If you look close, the bottom right corner is stained, the front is nicked up, & there are big scratches on the side.

im007242.jpg

IM007276.JPG

Cycloncj,

Nice job. Mine are tons worse than that. They are walnut and much of the veneer is missing from the front and the sides are scratched up. I also have those puke green grills but the pie emblems are perfect. One the good side, they sound perfect! Replacing the veneer will be the most difficult task, however I have gotten some great advice here on the forum and apparently replacing the veneer isn't a big deal. I may want to replace the grill cloth to match the black on my corns but it's stapled on and doesn't seem to budge. I may have to cut it out and build removable covers w/velcro. I was also thinking of just building a frame the size of the front and cover it all the way around with grill cloth so no front veneer would show, just lightly sand the sides down, restain and attach the covered grill frame. That way I wouldn't have to worry about matching new veneer colors. It wouldn't look like an original heresy but it would be easy.

----------------

On 6/20/2003 11:23:48 AM m00n wrote:

cyclonecj, I bet your fish really love you for putting that speaker right next to their home.
2.gif

----------------

Thats not the worst part.... The Sub is on the floor on the left of the tank!

----------------

On 6/20/2003 12:04:03 PM garymd wrote:

Cycloncj,

Nice job. Mine are tons worse than that. They are walnut and much of the veneer is missing from the front and the sides are scratched up. I also have those puke green grills but the pie emblems are perfect.

----------------

I did get lucky, mine were HBR's, so there was no veneer to worry about. But they still took alot of sanding.

I have never seen green grills!.. do you have any pics?

----------------

On 6/20/2003 11:56:23 AM lynnm wrote:

Naaaaaaaaaaahhhh - They're deaf anyway -errummm at least now!

----------------

I had someone else tell me that when he pushes his sub, water splashes out of the tank! I rattle things off of the wall at times, but the water stays put!

I cant remember who that was now.

On 6/20/2003 12:04:03 PM garymd wrote:

Cycloncj,

Nice job. Mine are tons worse than that. They are walnut and much of the veneer is missing from the front and the sides are scratched up. I also have those puke green grills but the pie emblems are perfect.

----------------

I did get lucky, mine were HBR's, so there was no veneer to worry about. But they still took alot of sanding.

I have never seen green grills!.. do you have any pics?

----------------

I'll try to take some before and after pics. Tonight I took a piece of 1/4" plywood, cut out a frame and taped black grillcloth to the frame. Then, using 2-sided tape, I attached it to the front of the heresy so no front veneer showed. Also taped on a copper logo. When sitting in my tv stand (took up most of 1 side) it looked like a new speaker. This is just temporary but it seemed to work rather well. It may be a while before I get a chance to start the refinishing process. I've got tons of projects in the works right now. I think having 2 layers of grillcloth is muffling the squaker a tad but overall it sounds really good. I just hate to cut out that original cloth, green or not.1.gif

----------------

On 6/19/2003 9:54:09 PM garymd wrote:

I got to spend about 1/2 hour scanning through T2 before my wife ... took over with Harry Potter.

----------------

You too.... 8.gif ??

I'm with m00n on this... would love to see pics! Did you ever post pics of those zebrawood corns?

later...

Rob