How do I use an SPL meter do-hickey

t-man

quote:

Originally posted by t-man:

DD,

Are you crazy!?!?

Actually, it was by accident (the first time, anyway Smile.gif). I couldn't see the volume setting and thought I had left it at -60, so I cranked it way up from the remote before the audio kicked in. Liked it so much I had to do it again. BTW, it was with a Denon 3300, Forte's and a 12" Velo sub -- and I was sitting about 8 feet away. Awesome is the only word to describe it!! And I still had 12 more "steps" to go!!

Since we're way off topic...

TalktoKeith, They should cross "in front" of you? That seems wierd. Wouldn't the sound sort of cancel out and create a dead spot? I tried that spike method with my shorter KG 3.2s with good success. My couch sits real low, so the the 5.5 height is perfect as-is. The best thing I like about the 5.5s is that I got them (mint condition, and in med oak) for $25 more (includ shipping) than I sold my 3.2s for. All this dealing, and my wife still fails to understand why......

Jeez, honey. It's like if you were to buy a car...drive it for 7 years, and then upgrade to a newer, better one for about the same price. Who wouldn't do that?!?!?

Oh yea...I got a KSW12 for only $200, and she had a fit. She doesn't bat an eye to spend that on a worthless coat. Which would you get more use out of??

Oh well, at least she still loves me (:

t-man

t-man,

Idea of having them cross in front of you is that is broadens out the sweet spot. When the speaker axis cross in front of the listening position, and you sit on a centerline between them, you are equally off axis to both speakers, so the volume level and the frequency response will be the same on both channels.

As you move further towards the left channel, normally the soundstage would shift towards the left, cause your getting closer to that speaker and it sounds louder than the right speaker. However, with the axis crossing in front of you, by moving to the left you move further OFF axis of the LEFT speaker, and closer to being ON axis on the RIGHT speaker. The more directly on axis you are, the louder the sound will be. So, this increasing volume due to being closer to the right speakers axis somewhat offsets the increase in volume due to being closer to the left speaker. See attached image for diagram.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Uh,yeah, what Ray said. Smile.gif

Keith

Sorry 'bout that.Couldn't resist.BTW t-man,the toe-in may just help that right front early reflection you spoke of too!

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-17-2001 at 06:03 PM

Ray,

Awesome information. Thanks. I tried toeing in more like suggested, and either I'm imagining things, or things are really sounding better. Especially stereo music! I always thought that my Left speaker was annoyingly louder no matter how even the levels were according to my spl meter.

After toeing in like this, it becomes very important where you hold the meter when calibrating. One must actually lean their head way back and get the meter as close to where there head would be when calibrating. I noticed if I held in in front of me, that I had to set the right speaker +2, and if I leaned way back and held the meter closer to listening distance, that I had to set at -1. That is quite a drastic difference!!!!! It sure helps illustrate your point well when you see actual data like this.

BTW, I sit a bit to the left of center between my two speakers (can't help this), and this method seems to work well now that I have the toeing-in figured out. My speakers all sound much closer in sound during test-tones as well...still not perfect, but better. It's actually quite amazing that my center KG2.2v, is nearly dead-on identical in sound during test tones as the left main. I guess that's a good matching center for my set-up. I just have to set it at +1 due to efficiency differences.

Thanks to all,

T-man

One other point worth mentioning on the toe in thing...

This works better with Klipsch speakers than it does with most other speakers because of the way the horns control the dispertion of the sound. The Tactrix (or exponential in older lines) horn results in a much more defined "cone of sound" coming out of the speaker, so by adjusting the toe-in a bit this way (which I prefer) or that way (which I've found doesn't work as well) you can "fine tune" ( Rolleyes.gif ) the system's sweet spot, making it smaller with more sharply defined imaging or larger with a bit less specificity.

This doesn't work at all with speakers like MBL, Ohm, Audio Physik or others that try to be "omni-directional", and works poorly with speakers that have sharp off-axis frequency response variations.

Have Fun and B. Goode,

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

DD-

Easier to read...um, well, since I haven't seen the actual analog one, I can't compare. But if the accuracy is about the same between the two units, then seeing the numbers rather than having to look where the analog needle is seems a bit easier to me (no my eyes aren't that bad.) And Ray, if you find out who "they" are, introduce me!

As far as the THX trailer goes, yes, I certainly love that! I haven't had it up at 0 yet though...now you make me want to do it this weekend. Besides, I gotta do laundry this weekend, so if I spoil a pair of boxers, no problem! Smile.gif My wife doesn't understand why I replay that little spot each time I find a DVD with that. I have gotten "Life in the Fast Lane" up around 0-1, and you can literally feel Don Henley's drums pounding your body. BTW, in case any of you are interested, the THX trailer comes off a CD called Astra, by Asia (yes, the 80's group!) The track is "Countdown to Zero." I like that group, and I don't remember if the CD came before the trailer or vice versa. I think CD came first because I seem to remember hearing it in a theater, was blown away, and then realized it was on the CD. Ah, memories...

T-man-

Yes, Toy Story 2 was quite impressive as a DVD. Well worth exercising the lower octaves. I, too, have played around with speakers firing straight out vs. toe-in and I like the toe-in better. Haven't gone as far as 60 degrees, but then I sit about 12-14' away, so I wouldn't need as much. But, it's fun experimenting.

Really off topic, how do I find all the new smilies?? I like the one with the hammer and Keith's spinning head.

Um, ok, just realized I did the spinning head by normal smiley face. Very interesting!

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 05-18-2001 at 09:30 AM

quote:

Originally posted by jhawk92:

DD-

As far as the THX trailer goes, yes, I certainly love that! I haven't had it up at 0 yet though...now you make me want to do it this weekend. Besides, I gotta do laundry this weekend, so if I spoil a pair of boxers, no problem!
Smile.gif

B]

LOL!!

That's interesting about the Asia (yes, I remember them) CD having the segment that THX uses. I just assumed it was written for them. That poses an interesting thought -- I wonder if the music that Microsoft provides us (like the Windows startup and shut down) actually comes from a real band??

Doug