Grill cloth mount for Cornwalls

paul cbc

Hello,

I have recently aquired a pair of 1971 Cornwall speakers, oiled walnut. I've read through some postings on refinishing and think I've got my plan there(light sanding and boiled linseed oil). My question is in regards to grill cloth: When I purchased the speakers the owner also let me have some Klipsch cane grillcloth he had ordered.

Which would be more authentic: Mounting the grill cloth to an external frame or affixing it to the motorboard. It appears an older (heavy) grillcoth was affixed to this motorboard. Pros/cons of either method? I'd like to do this right, keeping them as traditional and functional as possible.

Your help is appreciated.

paul cbc

Hi, Paul!

I have a pair of '79's, and a pair of '80's, and they both have grill cloth attached to separate, removeable frames. I assume yours are the type which have the grill cloth wrapped around the motorboard (prior to assembly of the box)? If you remove the back, this can be confirmed, as you'll be able to see the edges of the fabric. If this is the case, I am not sure how easily you'd be able to replace that fabric without disassembling the cabinets. If it were I, I'd probably construct a masonite frame to wrap the cloth around, and attach it with velcro (after carefully cutting-away the old grill cloth with a sharp blade). Can you post photos? Klipsch made an unbelievably huge number of variations of the Cornwalls.

fini

I agree. I'm about to do that with my 72 heresys. You can cut out the old grill cloth from the front of the motorboard but to re-attach would be a nightmare. Just use masonite and velcro and it's a piece of cake. I did that with my LWEs and they look new (I used 1/4 plywood for those since I had it in the house).

fini, garymd,

Thank you both for the info and taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I don't have the stuff to post pics. To answer a question they did have the grills(originally) mounted to the motorboard. At some point that was removed and a (flimsy) frame and basic black grillcloth installed.

I suppose the idea of an external frame and velcro gives the most versatility and ease of install.

Hadn't thought of masonite for the frames.

Perhaps when I complete the whole project I'll get the photo thing together.

Thanks again for your help.

paul

I had the same problem with my 1975 cornwalls. What you will have to do is remove the molding or trim. this will reveal about 200 staples that are currently holding the existing fabric in place. What I did was located the nails in the trim by sanding the trim. There will be putty used to cover the nailes they used to put the trim in place that will show up. You will have to look closely and you shuold not have to sand very much. Look first to see if you can see where the nails are before sanding. I punched the nails thru the trim , Be careful you do not want it to split. Or you could risk removing the trim some how else. Ihad no problems removing the trim. Remove the staples. Put new fabric on (not that easy). Put the trim back on. Fill the holes in the trim. You want to make sure all the staples are as flat as possible and there are no raised areas of fabric or the trim will not seat properly.

Hope this helps.

Hightone,

That must have been a nighmare of a job. Couldn't all that work be avoided by cutting out the old cloth and installing a removable grill? I'm asking because I will be doing just that real soon with the heresys. I'd like to avoid removing all those staples and still get the results I desire.

Let me know how that works out for you. Its not orignal. Well maybe you may be the first to do so. I would like to see them when you get thru.How you would do this. Would drill into the motor board to hang this removable grill.

The job was not that bad if you take your time. I to was thinking other ways but came up short. Post some pictures when you get thru it coudl be healpful for future projects. 1.gif

----------------

On 6/25/2003 5:36:23 PM hightone wrote:

Let me know how that works out for you. Its not orignal. Well maybe you may be the first to do so. I would like to see them when you get thru.How you would do this. Would drill into the motor board to hang this removable grill.

The job was not that bad if you take your time. I to was thinking other ways but came up short. Post some pictures when you get thru it coudl be healpful for future projects.
1.gif

----------------

No need to drill. Have you seen removable grills on corwalls/heresys? After attaching the grillcloth to the masonite just use stick-on velcro tabs or strips on the back of the grill and the front of the motorboard. As long as you line them up in advance it's just a matter of putting on the grill. Piece of cake.

Yes I happen to have a pair of 79 cornwalls as well. they have removeable grills. The 75 cornwall has the grill stapled to the front with trim that covers the staples this is how they came before removeable grills. The motor board is flush with the tops and sides there is no recess to put a peice of hard board coverd with grill cloth into. But I guess you could have a grill hanging on the front of yours. But not mine.11.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2003 10:03:11 PM hightone wrote:

Yes I happen to have a pair of 79 cornwalls as well. they have removeable grills. The 75 cornwall has the grill stapled to the front with trim that covers the staples this is how they came before removeable grills. The motor board is flush with the tops and sides there is no recess to put a peice of hard board coverd with grill cloth into. But I guess you could have a grill hanging on the front of yours. But not mine.
11.gif

----------------

Hightone,

Sorry. I didn't know you had flush mount speakers. That makes it a little more difficult. Mt heresys are not flush mounted so I can just cut out the grillcloth and add a removable grill. I did, however make a temporary grill for them by cutting out a frame from 1/4" plywood, taping on grillcloth (could be stapled) then using 2-sided tape I just stuck it on the front edges of the speakers. You could possibly do something similar using velcro. The key is if you can cut out the old grillcloth (if you haven't already removed it) without any of the old showing. Make sure the frame is perfectly square to the front. It should work pretty well for your needs I think. I hope that makes sense. It's getting late.1.gif

The coolest way to do it would be to veneer the front to match the sides the way Chris King's are done. They are stunning! If you can, find his avatar and take a look. There are also pics of them on here somewhere. It would take a lot of skill to do it right but they look beautiful.

garymd,

No worries.

I posted the initial question and have learned a lot reading peoples responses. My '71 Cornwalls motorboard is recessed, which makes it easier for me to construct a removeable grill frame. I think I've settled on this approach as it provides the most flexibilty.

My thanks to all for their ideas and help.

paul cbc

• 4 weeks later...

I too, have a pair of Cornwalls, circa 1975, and considering the refinishing and regrilling path. Does anyone know of a possible modification to mount the speakers (mainly the squawker and tweeter) closer to the front of the 'motor' or baffle board? It seems like the sound from the horns would get severly diffracted when exiting the horn and striking the edge of the 3/4 plywood baffle board. This would probably involve some routing from the front of the cabinet for the tweeter and possible thinning out the mounting area for the squawker (midrange).

Also, wouldn't some crossover components leak or lose value over time? How could one test this theory and possibly rebuild the crossovers while inside the cabinets for the refinshing job?

Just a thought, while we're going to all this trouble.

Damn, this sure is a cerebral board!

Michael

----------------

On 7/21/2003 5:50:20 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

This would probably involve some routing from the front of the cabinet for the tweeter and possible thinning out the mounting area for the squawker (midrange).

----------------

Yes, you've got it. There's some hardware available for flush mounting the tweeter and squawker (Z-clips, or something like that). It involves cutting larger motorboard holes, I believe so that you don't have to remove the drivers from the horns, then reconnect them in place. Does that make sense? I think if you were handy with routers and jigs, and dis- and reassembling the components, you could accomplish this with no extra hardware. A call to Klipsch parts dept. would be useful.

fini