Scott 299A vs Jolida 202B - Final Review

MBM135

Allan,

Yup its self defeating and tapers off as you raise the volume until defeated completely. Its default setting is on ! If you switch it on and off a 9:00 to 12:00 it does almost nothing. Above 12:00 it is completely out of the circuit. It only makes any real difference below 9:00 .

Craig

To each his own I guess. Maybe it's just the acoustics of my basement, maybe just my taste or the music I've heard so far with the amp. I have much experimenting to do and if it's cutting off at loud volumes anyway, it could be a moot point some of the time. At what point does it cut off? I haven't noticed this as of yet.

----------------

On 6/23/2003 1:02:50 PM Allan Songer wrote:

. "Loudness" is such an artifical EQ boost--a trick on your mind and ears--at super low volumes it guess it might have some value, but even then I tend to avoid them.

I wasn't aware that the "loudness" feature cut out automatically on the 299 at high volume. Interesting . . .

----------------

1- Do a search on "Fletcher-Munson" and "equal loudness".

2- Read the manual.1.gif

garymd- No sweat. Didn't even know you were ranting!

The reason I noticed the difference with the loudness switch is that I will only flip it at low volumes since I don't like messing around with switches at high volume. I think the scott sounds better with it on at low volumes and at high volumes it doesn't matter much anyway. My EQ may be having an effect on its cutoff point also. The power the EQ adds more than doubles the volume output on the amp. Maybe it cuts off at a higher decibal level with the EQ on?

I haven't owned a 299 in over 10 years--I used to pick them up for $25-$50 each, get them working and give them away to friends as gifts

(just to show them what they were missing out on with their 1970's Pioneer and Yamaha receivers). So I no longer have any manuals or schematics or anything at all for the Scott and I doubt I'll own another one. . .

I am well aware of what "loudness compensation" is doing, but it's STILL a trick! In the "real world" nobody is there to boost low and high frequencies for me, so why would I want my hi-fi to do it? Plus, who listens to music SERIOUSLY at levels under 85 or 90 db anyway? At levels that low I'm probably reading the paper or a magazine with the hi-fi churning out background music!

I guess I don't need or want what "loudness compensation" has to offer, but if you like it then by all means use it!