Good HT VCR

damonrpayne

I know, VCRs are "so yesterday." But there are things I have, like the original Star Wars movies, that will most likely never come out on DVD. What do I need to look for in a solid VCR ? S-VHS and S-video out? Anything else? Does it need to have the Pro-Logic II sticker on it ?

I would recommend a S-VHS VCR, something like a JVC. First, it has a S-video output and will record the extra resolutions available for SVHS if the proper tape is used. But, playing an existing VHS tape like Star Wars, the only advantage is the ease of connection with the s-video output.

DTS Neo, Dolby ProLogic, Dolby ProLogic II are audio processing routines that are available via 2 channel analog inputs and are handled by your receiver or Pre/Pro. So if your receiver has those modes available all that needs to be done is connect the 2 RCA analog outputs from the VCR (or any 2 channel source) and select the desired DSP on your receiver.

-Dave

Digital VCR's with 5.1 outputs are in design/production, however you would obviously need a Digital 5.1 encoded tape to take full advantage of it. Also it may make standard VHS tapes sound real good too. I second the JVC S-VHS I have owned various models and found them to be great. Panasonic also makes a nice Hi Fi S-VHS Player/Recorder. VCR's are cheaper than ever these days I paid $500 for my JVC about 4-5 years ago I think a similar model goes for about $200-$300 today.

I can only recommend S-VHS(pic quality), like you I have a "few" quality tapes. I originally went with a JVC, the thing was so light, I took it back to the store without even trying it. Took the cover off and nothing but plastic...for $200+ of my hard earned money, NOT...IMO 10.gif

Since I own Marantz I checked out their VCR's(only S-VHS)and decided on the VM5100. I paid I few bucks more, but what a machine(Program Manager etc, 4 video and 2 audio heads), not a cheap piece of gear, but I have fooled a few friends with the picture quality for a "VCR" 9.gif

If your serious check out the VM5100, sweet unit 10.gif

Panasonic is nice, Toshiba I pass, Sony - I never pay for a name, except Klipsch 2.gif