Scott vs Mac

Flason

Anyone ever do an a/b comparison of these 2? I currently have a Scott 299C(thanks to Craig) that makes my LaScalas sing. I have a line on a McIntosh MA6100 intergrated amp for a reasonable price with-in driving distance. I know I should be satisfied with the Scott, which I am listening to as I type, but being curious and always looking for that audio nirvana makes me want to check this thing out. Any suggestions out there?

Can't afford the tube stuff. I've seen the 275 go for 2 grand. I can get the 6100 for $300 and not worry about it breaking during shipping. If I don't like it, I will try to sell it here for what I paid for it, plus shipping of course. Any takers if I don't want it?

Flason,

Its a McIntosh you will not have any trouble selling it and that sounds like a great price go grab it before womeone else does you can Ebay for a profit if no one here wants it and of coarse you don't end up liking it yourself.

Craig

"I can get the 6100 for $300 and not worry about it breaking during shipping"

Buy it. As Craig has mentioned, you will easily get back that money if you don't like it. For $300 you can't go wrong. As long as that Mac is in good shape, it's a no-lose situation.

Gotta hunch that you will be pleased with it, though, especially for the $$$$. It's no secret that Mac and Klipsch go very well together.

apples and oranges, no? tube versus SS? the McIntosh stuff was produced at a higher price point so I would expect higher quality, at least, and perhaps "better" sound, whatever that means. the MA6100 was a $700 item and state of the art in it's time (see specs at http://www.roger-russell.com/amppre.htm) in the 70's while the scott was under $300. anyway they will be so different in sound that it is hard to compare them head to head. the McIntosh has twice the power and will sound somewhat tighter and faster and more extended on top I suspect, but less warm. the 299C is a great vintage amp, so swapping one for the other sounds folly unless you are unsatisfied with some aspect of the scott's sound/performance. I own a later McIntosh integrated, the MA6400, and though I swap a lot of components that one is here to stay, truely a fabulous integrated. regards, tony