Kg-4 Advice/ Love this Forum

rtrott

Hey all:

I am the original owner of a pair of 1987 or 88 kg-4s (black oak) that have seen better days as far as the exterior. I do not know what the condidtion of the drivers are. Is there anyone that can advise me as to where I can go to have these once wonderful speakers tested, replaced if needed and refinished? I would like them to match my new old cornwalls stain color. I am sure that most people on this forum can and have done this stuff themselves, however I am not good with electronics or woodworking. Thanks for any help bringing these great speakers back into the house from the garage. Also, I love this forum as I have been wanting to get advice on this issue for years and now I can!!

rtrott

Just look for tears or holes in the woofers and passive radiator and there rubber mounts. If there are none hook them up and give a listen! If they sound good that is one problem solved. As for the finish, I am guessing you should contact a furniture refinisher? Hope this helps

I beleive the black oak speakers in the KG line use wood veneers that were of lower quality than the stained versions. They made them black so that you can not see the imperfections. As black spekaers, they are perfect, but if you were to strip them and try to stain them with a light stain, you would not be pleased with the results. If anything, have them refinished in balck to update the look.

Call as many woodworking/furniture refinishing places in your area (yellow pages). Some higher end places will charge an arm & a leg. Others may not. Also, call some unfinished furniture stores and ask if they know anyone who does refinishing on the side. Someone will know someone else who knows someone else, etc. You may get lucky or you may find it's cheaper to just get a used pair in the finish you want. Good luck. BTW - Look on the net to see how to do it yourself. It's not that hard (so I've heard). I'm about to attempt it myself for the first time. I'll let you know if it's as easy as everyone says.

Hello,

You may want to initially check the voice coils in the woofers for damage.

The original K-8-K woofers in the KG4s were known for problems relating from warping of the voice coils.

An easy way to check is to lightly depress the woofer cone in several times while listening for a rubbing or scraping sound.

(indication of internal damage)

Make sure to try and press the cone in as evenly as possible using the tips of your fingers.

Do not press on the center dust cap.

Replace any and all drivers that have such sounds.

Klipsch offers a suitable replacement, but it's not quite the K-8-K.

Slightly differing specs.

Although, it still works well from what i've heard.

Others here may know of a better replacement if you find that you need them.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

John.