Shiva 12" MKIII vs. DPL 12 Dipole

justin_tx_16

The Shiva driver is a very musical sub, its fast and accurate. The same however can be true for HT, depending on your design, the driver can hit 20hz with authority and slam when called upon. Example being it can handle the LOTR Troll cave scene, which has a lot of 20-30-40hz output bursts. With you building a sonosub, I imagine it will hit quite low. The Shiva driver knows how to move air, and lots of it. The X-max on this thing is a whopping 15.5mm, whicvh is even more impressive for a 12".

The DPL 12" will more then likely hit a little lower then the Shiva driver, it's FS specs state that much. It's a very good sounding driver, and offers a lot of bang for the buck. I would say, it doesn't sound quite as nice as the shiva driver, but it will offer a little more output, possibly even in the lower octave, but I doubt it. The Shiva when designed right can hit LOW

Both are very nice sub drivers, the DPL II is quite cheap. In my opinion however, I would choose the Shiva driver, as it's quite better all-around to my ears.

If you want a comparision. I'd say the Shiva is like a Velodyne HGS-15, with just as much clean bass, and more output.

The DPL12 was specifically designed for use in a dipole sub. Although it can work well in other allignments. But you'll get just as much performance from a Shiva and save $25.

The question I think you should be asking your self is, the Tempest is only $25 more and it will be a big step up in performance, can I handle the larger enclosure required. If you can handle the larger enclosure (I wouldn't go smaller than 210L with a Tempest), I'd seriously consider going with it over the Shiva.

I went through the exact same troubles, Justin, and as of now, I have a lovely (I mean beautiful) Adire DPL12 sitting in a box beside my computer desk. That thing looks like a beast. It has killer looks (shame to stick it in a box) and is built like a rock.

In terms of which driver I think would work better in a sonosub, I cannot tell you for sure... just will tell what I have noted when making mine.

Driver sag: Ok, the DPL12 has a sag of about 6.5%, which is higher than is recommended for down/up-firing subs. Shiva only has about 3% sag. In the long run, a long time down the road, the sag thing may be an issue... but for a new driver, it would be no problem.

frequency response: How big is your enclosure (in cu.ft.)? The big thing about the DPL12 is it needs a bigger enclosure... Mine will be a 5.35cu.ft tube (16"Wx46"H like an SVS) tuned to 16Hz. With these box specs, an F3 of about 15Hz is achieved. QUITE nice IMO, which is why I chose the DPL12- for the subsonic slam. Shivas F3s were all above 20Hz. (5Hz, big whoop... I know... I wanted bragging rights lol)

XMAX: 1mm difference between the two... big deal.

SPL- small problem hit here. DPL12 has 84dB sens and Shiva has 87. So, with the same power, Shiva will be 3dB louder. The amp I am looking at is 350WRMS@4-ohm... which will bottom out my DPL12 at max power.

power handling: both drivers could probably take all a 250W amp could throw at them...

In my case, I chose the extra 5Hz extension. In a smaller box, though, you won't get these 5 extra Hz. If I could go back and do it again, really, I would get the Shiva, even though I lose subsonic impact. I think the main reason is the driver sag... I forgot to look at that BEFORE I bought... it shouldn't make a difference, though. For sonosub, probably Shiva. For front firing or dipole I would DEFINITELY do DPL12. I think what I will do is buy a Shiva, throw it in my sonosub (though the tuning is wrong for that driver) and use the DPL12 in a front firing sealed box for music. (BTW, DPL12 has an F3 about 29Hz in a SEALED 2.5cu.ft box...)