Only 45,000.00 bucks!

Bill H.

got a good write-up in a recent stereophile. I think that between the k-horn, the products from avantgarde and that item the best bang for the buck would go to the k-horns hands down. I would go further that through careful tweaking (including some bass support for the k-horns via subs) one could kick both of those others into the gutter. I have only heard the avantgardes once during a quick visit to NYC but they did not convince me they were a step ahead of my k-horns. lucky people are we to have stumbled upon the k-horns methinks! regards, tony

no bill those are calix, I listened to avantgarde speakers. I only read the review of the calix in sterephile. they liked it but gave the usual caveats about horn speakers not measuring like other speakers. regards, tony

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=27622&

----------------

On 7/4/2003 8:48:03 AM sunnysal wrote:

got a good write-up in a recent stereophile.

----------------

Yeah, but look at all the advertisements in Stereophile for this speaker. You have to wonder just how much of what they write is $$$ induced.

justin, sorry but that is crap. stereophile does not get influenced like that because of advertising dollars, do not fall into that "conspiracy" trap. they tend to be kinda light (under critical) on almost all the units they review, that I do not like, they ought to speak badly about components BUT they are not corrupt as you infer. regards, tony

"justin, sorry but that is crap. stereophile does not get influenced like that because of advertising dollars, do not fall into that "conspiracy" trap. they tend to be kinda light (under critical) on almost all the units they review, that I do not like, they ought to speak badly about components BUT they are not corrupt as you infer. regards, tony"

Everyone is intitled to there opinions!2.gif

Tom

I suppose you are right, but this type of comment, from a youngster, got my "dander up" my fatherly side came out and I think it bad for people without experience and knowledge to subscribe to that kind of cynical viewpoint. I do not chime in when a grizzled veteran opines the same way. call it age-bias, I am guilty. besides I know a few people over there and in other areas of the magazine industry (where I worked for a time) and those kind of acusations are way off base. anyway, point taken. apology proffered, happy fourth to all! regards, tony

Before the age of the internet, mags were a good reference point to just about any consumer oriented product thats being reviewed. Frankly there was no other means available to the masses.

Sunnysal,

I do respect your belief in the integrity of said mag, but

I find it difficult to believe that a company spending ad dollars with a mag doesn't get special considerations in there reviews. I believe this would fall under the politically correct thing to do, as far a business point of view goes. Lets not even mention the good reviews a product gets thats not advertising in a particlur mag, possibly inticeing that particular company to place ads in a mag that favors there products. Mags are there to make money, audio being as subjective as it is, allows alot of grey area on what is good or not.JMHO, not ment to insight a pissing contest.

Tom

----------------

On 7/4/2003 11:57:24 AM sunnysal wrote:

justin, sorry but that is crap.

----------------

That is kind of rough don't you think? It is only my opinion, and one that I seem to share with a lot of people. Money can blind anyone's eyes, ears, taste buds, etc. I simply feel that sometimes, not always, Stereophile is attracted to certain items a little more than they should be, TriVista anyone? 2.gif Obviously I don't have too strong of a conviction against them... I do pay for a subscription 9.gif.

I think I saw you apologize for "age bias". Accepted, now does that make me sound pompous?

I will admit that there are a shovel full of kids my age, above and below, who can be opinionated without any real reason. But, if you had not noticed yet, I am not like most people around my age group.

I deal with a ton of people at my office, via phone, email and eventually sometimes in person. Every single person I have dealt with, whether it be the groomers or an executive of a fortune 500 chemical/oil company, realizes my age (18) they say,"Wow, I would have thought you were in yoru 20's or 30's!".

I once held a meeting with three different companies, all competing to service us. I decided, why talk about what each person is offering individually... why not bring them all into one room. Not only were they amazed that I was doing this, that I was working for a corporation, and that I did this every day from 12:00-5:00 after school, they were amazed that they were starting to lose money to a KID who was 18 while they thought I was in my 30's otherwise. In the end I saved our company $2600 for our phone/T1 services. Basically, I am not like many of my friends, and thankfully not like many of my friends.

Anywho, I still have this voice in the back of my head telling me that the difference in sound quality from a $400 TT and a $40,000 is not that great, or from a $20 power cable and a $2000 power cable. I just can't see how there could be that great of a difference, yet some Stereophile reviewers do.

And if they do;

are we unlucky enough to not have their ear for sound....

or are we lucky enough not to hear all the bad in things?

3.gif That is something to think about 9.gif

But back on topic, sort of, I KNOW that you can buy a review. Martha Steward Inc. That would be enough said. My grandmother has dealt with her directly and Martha Steward (MS... Micrososft, also MS.. M$ hehe). She puts thingsin magazines and newspapers all the time, we actually have John Atkinson's direct like and email via "The Gift List" CD 12.gif

Justin,

btw the trivista SACD sounds GREAT (a guy here in salvador bought one of them, one of only 500 I guess)! as did the nuvista cd player before it...no offense was meant to you intelligence, etc.

I just tend to react strongly when someone makes those kind of claims without first hand knowledge or experience. it is easy to see bad people in the shadows if one has never been there, not an age thing, as you said, lots of people do it. on AA I see it all the time. the same guys probably talk about the "secret rings of power" on political b-boards (again not saying you do)...

I just think it is better to opin about something one knows about than throw accusations at those we do not know.

suspicions are like *ssh*les, everyone has them. I say stick to what we know. I know my system sound great to me, and can talk about what sounded great, to me...beyond that I try to keep my mouth shut.

on the other hand I have it on the highest authority that solient green is made from...people.

warm regards to my klipsch b-board friends, tony

I have been following the Stereophile (and Absolute Sound) reviews of the Musical Fidelity products and the Calix review is Stereophile.

With stereophile one can look at the excellent technical reviews by John Atkinson (not perfect .. excellent).

With the Calix, John pointed out some audible and measureable comb-filtering due to the number and types of drivers. He also pointed out the lower than expected efficiency. John ends his technical section with "But overall, the Calix Phoenix Grand Signature, with its low sensitivity, wide overlap between disparate drive-units, and comb-filtered on-axis response left me scratching my head." For a speaker of that price, it was not a good review.

Sam Tellig's review of the Tri-Vista 300 is interesting. He accurately reports Michaelson's "opinions" (or marketing hype) concerning enormous amounts of power, but inserts his own skepticism. Also, Tellig provides, in bold print, in the middle of page 2 of the review, the follwoing quote from Michaelson: "If a system can't reproduce 1 105dB peak, then it shouldn't be called a 'hi-fi' system. Well, folks, back to numbers. With my RF-7s 105dB requires about 2.5 Watts. That means my 3.5 Watt 2A3 amp has 40% moe power than the designer of this 1000 Watt beast claims I need. For KHorn owners, you meet the Michaelson challenge at less than 1.5 Watts. Later in the review, Sam includes a comparison with a Cary 805C SET: "Curiously, though, I got some of the same scope and sweep - ... "

I think Stereophile and Absolute Sound do very well. One has to read carefully. But with careful reading, valuable information is there. I believe these reviewers are trying to NOT trick you while being reasonable to the supply side of the industry.

leok

leok,

Thanks for the enlighting comments! I did not think that this post would produce so many feelings/comments.... I just thought the size/price ratio for a pair of speakers was outrageous and silly. When as you so clearly pointed out for the quality and price we (klipsch owerners), have the best of both worlds..........

----------------

On 7/5/2003 8:54:55 AM Bill H. wrote:

leok,

Thanks for the enlighting comments! I did not think that this post would produce so many feelings/comments.... I just thought the size/price ratio for a pair of speakers was outrageous and silly. When as you so clearly pointed out for the quality and price we (klipsch owerners), have the best of both worlds..........

----------------

I use this example in regard to audio pricing:

For $25,000 (+/-) one can buy a Mustang.

For $50,000 one can buy a Vet and expect a huge improvement. To get that much improvement again.....You must spend $250,000.

At some point,the cost of improvement become much larger than the relitive size of the improvement itself.

Did I say that right?

I.B.Slammin

----------------

On 7/5/2003 11:42:52 AM Terry N. Cruse wrote:

I use this example in regard to audio pricing:

At some point,the cost of improvement become much larger than the relitive size of the improvement itself.

Did I say that right?

----------------

That is correct... called deminishing returns 9.gif