Looking to get into Vinyl

You could consider the turntable I am using: a late 60's Pioneer PL-41. These show up on eBay on a regular basis. You can see mine in this thread. Takes a bit of tweeking, finding the right cartridge and all, but it's a super simple manual TT, built like a tank. Well within your budget, even including a decent cartridge. IMHO, ya know.

fini

For very little more, you can invest in a brand new Music Hall MMF-1 belt drive audiophile-quality 'table with a Music Hall Magic MM cartridge already included. It's highly rated (a budget best buy), and for about $250, you can't go wrong. Check it out.

I'd stick with a Thorens, even if you were to increase your budget. If you find a TD-145 or TD-160 in good condition (not hard to find), you can then save the money and invest it in the cartridge, if necessary, or at least a replacement stylus.

I just ended up with a TD-145 after doing quite a bit of shopping around. Its a great table. The Music Hall is a good table as well, and has the advantage of being available factory new. However, I've also found that most who purchased the entry level Music Hall table were disappointed in the cartridge, and usually upgraded that pretty quickly. In most cases, that is at least another $75 - $100 for a good cartridge, and might put you over your budget quickly.

Hey, that's cool. I just picked up (stole?) a Dual CS-506 with an Ortofon cartridge for $51.00 on Ebay. I figure that's a good stopgap until I can make a move on something really upscale later on.

I've always been a fan of direct-drive tables anyway, and snatching that one up for peanuts was worth it.

Not a bad table to get you in the vinyl door. I've got an old Dual CS 504 belt drive that I picked up at a garage sale, and I'm keeping it as my back up TT. $40 for a Grado Blue cart, $8 for a new belt, cleaned and lubed it, and I was off to the races. Sounded pretty decent, too.

----------------

On 7/7/2003 8:18:15 PM whell wrote:

Not a bad table to get you in the vinyl door. I've got an old Dual CS 504 belt drive that I picked up at a garage sale, and I'm keeping it as my back up TT. $40 for a Grado Blue cart, $8 for a new belt, cleaned and lubed it, and I was off to the races. Sounded pretty decent, too.

----------------

LOL - Hardly "getting into the door" here. I'm more or less getting "back" into vinyl - had several TT's over 10 years, nothing really high-end, but they all died and I finally got around to replacing. I picked up the Pioneer you see in my sig a week ago, but am really unsatisfied with its performance, so I scoped E-bay tonight and SURPRISE! The auction for the Dual was scheduled to end in 18 minutes with a current tag of $39.95 - so I bid $51.00 and won it. Shipping from Toronto will end up being another $21.00, but hey - can't do much better than that for $72. Hell, that Ortofon cartrdige probably cost more than what I'm paying for the unit...

----------------

On 7/7/2003 8:26:10 PM Elmoe wrote:

Denon....DP62L....excelent machine ...wish I had one....maybe on E-bay....should be reasonable now.......gc

----------------

P1241312_01.jpg

Ah yes, my old 1984 Denon DP-62L...wish I hadn't sold it, but that's another story. One of the best direct-drive 'tables of all time, and a perfect performer.(and my Sumiko Blue Point high-output MC cartridge was top-notch as well). Even used, they still fetch a high price (sold mine for over $550); hopeully, you can find a decent one cheaper (seen 'em sell for over $725 also).

post-11084-13819248317848_thumb.jpg