Building an Amp and a Preamp

When I go back to school next fall, I will have to build something in my class's, have already decided that I am going to build an amp and pre-amp.... tubes all the way, no SS!!! anyways what do you think of this pre-amp?

http://www.transcendentsound.com/preamp%20kit.htm

please check it out and let me know what you think.... I havn't decided what kind of amp to build yet, there was a valve kit that was awesome..... but that would be very costly and I would like to keep it some what cost efficient, mostly because I will never have heard how this stuff sounds until after its done and hooked up..... but from what I have read.... a good valve kit is the best thing you can get.... any personal recomendations would be awesome! thanks

How much power do you need?

Do you need a phono input?

Which means more to your project, appearance or performance?

Can you build from scratch with just a chassis box, do you have the necessary tools?

Finally, I assume you intend to use the equipment after it's graded, what music do you prefer?

I do not need a phono input at all, and I do have all the tools and materials needed, I would much rather have something that performs awesome than looks good. on my pre-amp I want like 2 to 3 inputs, an on/off switch, and volume control... the power: here is the thing, I am willing to give up power if its going to have a loxer thd and a higher s/n... but something around 25 x 2 would be great (Tubes Only).. and right now in my bedroom i have the quintets and i have a set of sf-2's on te b speakers of an onkyo reciever so my intent is to move the sf-2's off the b speakers on to this new set up... this is jsut for my bedroom

I mostly listen to classic rock, i.e. led zep, pink, old metallica, jimi, stuff like that sorry about the double post

I could also build my own casing, but if one was supplied that would be nice just to reduce vibrating and what not, but if you feel that there is an amp or pre-amp that is jsut amazing and doesn't come with a case i would probably do that... i really just want really really clean sound.....