My own JFL Horus amplifiers...

...are approximately %75 complete. I finished punching, drilling, filing, and sanding the top plates this morning, and will begin wiring the amplifiers by this coming Wednesday. I don't know very much about digital photography, but my trusty, fully-manual Nikon SLR still takes marvelous pictures. I will try to get some of those 'transposed' to digital realm to share with you all.

I've heard rumours(1.gif ) about the...ahem...ultrapath output connection being used, which is something I'm considering. I noramally don't like to jump into modifications without hearing the original first -- while I let MYSELF break-in to the presentation.

I have interests leaning towards Oris Horns, but will venture into that more at a later date.

BTW: If you ever buy chassis punches by way of ebay, try to confirm that they are still sharp! The punches I got for the 2A3 socket were terribly dull, and took every bit of strength I had to punch the hole.

Congrats to Leo on his new speakers!

Erik

Erik,

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions when you have you amps completed.

My initial impressions were that the Horus amps sounded great, and they have only improved with some burn-in time. I still only have ~50 hours on the amps/tubes (due to circumstances beyond my control) but they have risen to a level that is amazing to me.

Keep us posted on your progress please, and I can scan any photos you wish to share 2.gif !

Erik,

They have these fluted drill bits that work for applications such as chassis holes.

They are spendy, but I understand they work real well.

I just went through the trouble of making larger holes from a smaller punched hole, using a drill and a small grinder bit. Tedious as hell, but it worked out nice.

Now I can mount the caps from the bottom, no ugly clamps!

Thanks for that hint, Mike. I used those fluted bits -- well just one -- for a preamp I built some years ago. It worked out pretty well, too. Just a little filing was needed to clean things up. I have several Greenlee metal punches, including the used larger size I bought from an ebay seller. The Greenlees are really very good, but I just got a couple that had been well-used, I think. The 7/8" punch I used for the octal and 9pin sockets worked perfectly. The Octal actually required a 1" hole, but, not having that size punch, I used the 7/8" and filed the extra 1/8".

I actually already had another chassis already done. This was the Hammond box I bought when I had decided to make a stereo amplifier. The IAG chassis (which came to me by way of a suggestion from Jeff L.)are much nicer, and the aluminum looks to be about 3 times the thickness of the Hammond.

Ed! As always, thanks for your willingness to help me with the pictures. Our nearby Target (isn't there always one of those nearby???)can do CDs from regular photos. I tell you, I need to go to a class or something to learn about all of this. My students at school were amazed by the fact that I didn't even know how to 'copy and paste'! Thanks to one of them for patiently teaching me how easy it is to do.

Erik