My first Klipsches! 1977 Cornwalls!

I am now the proud owner of a pair of 1977 Klipsch Cornwalls. I've had them for about a
week and am very happy to be an Official Klipsch Nut.

I have a choice of amplifiers: two McIntosh MC-30s or a Dynaco ST-70. Cabling is all DNM
Reson. My sources are a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable and a Sony SCD-SE775 modified by SACDMods.com.
Preamp is Wright-Sound WPL-10V -- tubes all the way!

I play my DVD player through the tubes, too. Movies have never sounded so real.

I bought the Cornwalls to replace a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs. While the Maggies are great
speakers, they just don't make the kind of magic the Cornwalls do with my tubes. There's
just more music, air, and human coming out of the Cornwalls. And they make my wife and I
dance more often, too. There's nothing like an old Ray Charles LP played through tubes and
Cornwalls to get your feet moving.

I know understand perfectly why so many people rave about their vintage Klipsch speakers.
I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Cornwalls.

Congrats and welcome to the CLUB! You are quite correct in stating the 'human' element and warmth of the wonderful design of the Cornwalls. From what I'm hearing, they are one of the fave heritage designs. I'm proud to be a 12 year member of the club. Just now looking at making some cabinet modifications to 'soup up' the sound of my babies.

Welcome to the cornclub, a very exclusive group. I'll let you know what the membership fees are and where to send the check.2.gif I've been a member for 23 years now and love my corns completely un-moded. Congrats on your purchase. Keep us posted on your choice of amps, etc. and why you choose what you do. Opinions and pictures are always welcome and are also a requirement for club members.9.gif

Don't know if you read my earlier post on the double thread, so I'll repeat it again if you didn't...

You're a man after my own heart! I traded my younger brother my excellent Magnepan MGLR1's for our dad's beloved Cornwalls he was using at the time (see my long story here at Odds & Mods: "What's left of my audio system").

Granted, my Maggies are fantastic planars that still amaze me when I listen to my bro's HT (for movies and music they're just so dynamic; imaging is downright erie when you hear a jazz guitar in front and drums in the rear). But I didn't like taxing all the 200 watts from my McIntosh MC7200 SS amp just to drive them. With the classic Cornwalls, all I needed was a lil' 50 watt Mac MC250, and even that's too much power for these mammoth horns (and at over 110dB the MC250 barely breaks a sweat)!

I had a vacuum tube preamp before, so I know just how delicate and also how powerful tubes can make Klipsch loudspeakers sound...and once my finances are back on track, I'll make the leap into tube amplification. Your choice of either the Macs or the Dynaco are damn good choices indeed, but there are SET amps to consider as well. Give the Macs and the Dynaco a good long listen; you can't go wrong with either. Any amplifier questions you ever have (tube or SS) will be answered to the fullest by all the in-house experts here at this Forum.

Good luck with your Cornwall purchase, and welcome to these Klipsch Forums. You will not be disappointed in the least (and you won't miss your Maggies, either)!