What's wrong with this picture?

tony61

Hey Folks,

I saw these crossovers on eBay and was wondering if there was supposed to be any caps on the board somewhere.

The seller said they came from a working pair of '75 Cornwalls and were original.

The pair of type B's in my '79's have two big caps wired in.

Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

post-9081-13819248474994_thumb.jpg

cornwall_.jpg

I don't proclaim to know squat about crossovers, but it seems to me that the original metal canister (oil-filled?) capacitors in the above jpg from a forum member's CW's (don't recall who) were replaced by the small yellow caps from the crossovers on eBay. Don't know if Klipsch changed caps out on certain CW model years...I kinda doubt it; looks to me like the previous owner did some repair work or modifications.

I could be wrong, though...it wouldn't be a first!7.gif

post-11084-13819248475354_thumb.jpg

I may be right. Look closely at Justin's post...you can see the screw holes from where the one transformer used to be, and had to be moved to its present location on the board to accomodate the new caps.

And the seller has the nerve to say that these crossovers are original! HA!4.gif

Actually the oil-filled caps in the older Klipsch Xovers are run-of-the-mill motor starting caps designed to protect the coil windings of electric motors during startup because they introduced a slight delay in the buildup from 0 volts to 110 +/- volts and also reduced current spikes which allowed electric motors time to spin up. They were used in crossovers because they were - available-cheap-and-worked like a damn at audio frequencies.

The fact that they are large and - "oil-filled" gives them a certain cachet with some users. In reality had PWK found a cache of totally unscented pet rocks at a cost of 1/10th of the caps he actually used - We would likely find ourselves today debating the merits of soapstone - ( with its lovely silky sound or sandstone with its more lively but admittedly slightly grainier character). 9.gif

Ha Haaaaaaaaa. In reality had PWK found a cache of totally unscented pet rocks at a cost of 1/10th of the caps he actually used - We would likely find ourselves today debating the merits of soapstone - ( with its lovely silky sound or sandstone with its more lively but admittedly slightly grainier character). LOL. Thats a beautiful line, Lynnm.

I LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLike IT! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

I have seen crossovers with similar caps on eBay from time to time. My guess is that this was some "audiophile's" attempt at improving things. The relocation of the autotransformer is another attempt. The idea is to put the magnetic fields of the autotransformer and inductor at right angles to minimize interaction. Of course, he also moved it twice as close which works the opposite.

I would not let these changes stop me from buying the crossovers. I would just put the autotransformer back where it was originally and replace the caps with my favorite type. I would do that even if they had the original paper in oil caps, which as Lynn points out, are nothing special. If you absolutely must have paper in oil caps, any with the right capacity and adequate voltage rating from any of the manufacturers of the day will restore the crossovers to original. Klipsch used whatever brand was available and cheap. Ought to be able to find them for little money if you look around a bit.