Peavey Classic 50/50

mark1101

Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Peavey Classic 50/50 tube amp? I believe it may be a guitar amp. However, I was told by a "wiseman" that this is an inexpensive way to get into tubes (around $450.00 new), is rack mounted, and an excellent performer in a home stereo application using Klipsch speakers. He said he had one, and also has other tube amps. He owns an electronics store, and is also a musician. He deals in and repairs audio equipment. He swears by this particular unit. I know he knows his stuff.

But has anyone heard this unit? Does what I say above sound correct?

Comments?

Obvisously I have been searching for a tube solution, and can not afford an amp in the thousands. Does anyone use musical instrument amplifiers?

Thanks

I agree... a good vintage amp will probably get you more...

But... if you insist on the 60/60, I have used one in my home with my KG-2.5's. The bass was very impressive (beat my SS receiver hands down). Smooth sound... Only problem with the one I used was that it was old and was thought to need some work done to it, so the response I got from it was not so great. It got loud, but had a cap, even with a preamp. I was thinking about buying it for all of $125- a lot cheaper than the $450 you were seeing. The 60/60, while it sounded good, was not a hi-fi sounding amp IMO. It did not hold a candle to the other wo tube amps I have heard.

Thanks for the info. The bass comment surprised me a little. The freq. resp. is 40-20K.

I was wondering if someone would say the 50/50 lacked bass because of the response spec or because it was a guitar amp.

How low can we really hear anyhow? Anyone know?

I agree it probably wouldn't sound anywhere near a home audiophile tube amp. for $450 when new.

I'm glad to get a few comments. Thanks

Mark. I agree with some of the others. It might be a little noisy and such. Guitar amps are made to be smooth, cranked up, and played through.... Or distorted through, with effects etc., etc. A good idea perhaps. Not the right application. IMO

You might also be careful on the outputs through your speakers... Again, the gains might come quicker on the dials..than a smoother stereo Hi Fi system.

LOL.. Maybe the the volume nob that goes to 11 will REALLY crank it too!!

Thanks for the reply.

The Classic 50/50 is just an amp. You still need a preamp, so you can use your existing preamp from your home audio system.

That was why I thought it was a good idea. I can use everything I have now, just send the pre-out into it. It does not look like a musical instrument amp either. It looks like a piece of home audio equipment in some respects.

But I think I understand that it will have its stong and weak points regarding sound quality.

Maybe not the best idea. Oh well.

Thanks