Newbies - Get an SPL meter

damonrpayne

I'm relatively new to this, and picked up the analog Radio Shack SPL meter (part # 33-2050) last night as suggested by the manual for my SVS. I had previously sighted everything in with a laser pointer (this one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/) but something didn't sound quite right. Upon inspection my center channel was coming up 4 decibels short of the fronts and my left surround was measuring 3 decibels higher than my right surround. I can only assume I need a bigger center channel and less-funky room accousics.

Anyway it sounds very, very different now. SPL meters are not just for people with $30,000 worth of gear: go buy one.

after balancing speaker level for 9yrs. by ear, i thought i had it down, but a spl meter does help, even if you are not a newbie.

justin, i think the consensus is that the analog meter is quicker to respond and overall gives a better idea of the spl as the sound changes.

avman.

Damon,

A very nice URL and instructional page on SPL reading. I've never attempted anything like this and it was easy to understand and worthwhile.

I'm wondering how much an analog reader will run me? What can I expect to pay at my local Radio Shack?

Again cool post ...

Also, will the receiver only do it if the receiver is the source for the test tones? IOW, will it do it if you run the test tones from your DVD player, like with an Avia calibration disk? IMO, I'd rather calibrate with tones from the DVD player, since that is the real source for the audio, not the receiver, and I have noticed a difference between calibrating to my receiver's test tones and the test disk.

DD

Good point on using the DVD test tones, you are getting more of an end-to-end test then. As far as the microphone on the remote, mine does that and I've seen several others and I don't think its likely to be as accurate as an SPL meter. Looking at my remote, it looks like the feature was added as an afterthought. Also, be sure the feature you are talking about balances output levels, I think mine only calculates delays.

My HK has the EZ-Set feature too. I used it before I got my SPL meter a while back. Before I bought my receiver I read a review of it in Sound & Vision, and they said that the EZ-Set microphone feature set the levels very very close to what they got using a tripod mounted SPL rig. So I'm guessing it's pretty darn good...I use my SPL meter for a lot more than just setting levels though, so I say buy one anyway.