I feel like I have gone to the darkside....

I love my 4.1 promedias... I really do. They introduced me to a world of good audio at a reasonable price. They have given me a hobby I am proud to pursue till the day I can hear no more.

however, my friend works at bestbuy and i was given the opportunity to avail of some yamaha floorstanding speakers for next to nothing. I went to bestbuy and auditioned the speakers, and i must say they sound REAL good for the price I was offered - better than the sonys, or the athenas, or even the lower-end jbls. So here I am, with 4 yammy floorstanding speakers (1" tweeter, 4" midrange, 6" and 8" mid/low woofers).

They arent as good as the klipsch setup I have in my parent's family room - but I must admit that (with my present 12" sub, and a future center) - they do sound much better than my promedias.

My promedias are going to my brother - i know he is going to love them.

It is too bad I did not have the funds to make the jump to the entry reference line speakers (I really had my eyes set on the rf-15, rb-15, and rc-25).... I guess my jump to the reference line will have to wait a few years - atleast until I get out of college and make some real money.

These speakers will have to do for the rest of my college years (5 more.... 1 more year undergrad and 4 more for graduate/md) - I must say, i think i'm pretty well equipped at the moment... still cant wait for my future system.... 2xRF-7, 2xRS-7, 2xRB-7, RC-7, and last but not least - SVS B4+ subwoofer.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know - I had a pretty busy day today, picking up the speaks and all... I just feel a little bad they werent klipsch though 15.gif . Maybe next time. Boooo.....

----------------

On 7/23/2003 2:03:44 AM pinipig523 wrote:

I love my 4.1 promedias... I really do. They introduced me to a world of good audio at a reasonable price. They have given me a hobby I am proud to pursue till the day I can hear no more.

however, my friend works at bestbuy and i was given the opportunity to avail of some yamaha floorstanding speakers for next to nothing. I went to bestbuy and auditioned the speakers, and i must say they sound REAL good for the price I was offered - better than the sonys, or the athenas, or even the lower-end jbls. So here I am, with 4 yammy floorstanding speakers (1" tweeter, 4" midrange, 6" and 8" mid/low woofers).

They arent as good as the klipsch setup I have in my parent's family room - but I must admit that (with my present 12" sub, and a future center) - they do sound much better than my promedias.

My promedias are going to my brother - i know he is going to love them.

It is too bad I did not have the funds to make the jump to the entry reference line speakers (I really had my eyes set on the rf-15, rb-15, and rc-25).... I guess my jump to the reference line will have to wait a few years - atleast until I get out of college and make some real money.

These speakers will have to do for the rest of my college years (5 more.... 1 more year undergrad and 4 more for graduate/md) - I must say, i think i'm pretty well equipped at the moment... still cant wait for my future system.... 2xRF-7, 2xRS-7, 2xRB-7, RC-7, and last but not least - SVS B4+ subwoofer.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know - I had a pretty busy day today, picking up the speaks and all... I just feel a little bad they werent klipsch though
15.gif
. Maybe next time. Boooo.....

----------------

Using another brand of speakers isn't going to the dark side.. using those little Bose cubes is.. I learned my lesson on Bose. Enjoy your new speakers.

Damn I wrote an entire paragraph and clicked submit and what do I get? An error. I hit back and my post is gone. This sucky server drives me insane!

Summary: My friend has some very old yammy's that are EXCELLENT speakers. Probably aroun 15-30 years old, but still kicking. The bass on these things is unbeliavable, it NEVER chokes on anything, it hits low effortlessly. You'd be amazed, these things KICK ***.

I blew a set of Yamaha w/8" woofers in five minutes at half volume with a Carver 80 watt amp.My son wanted to see how his new speakers really sounded,he did,I felt bad but they were warranted.As long as you don't ask too much of them they may do for a while.

i'm probably gonna get kicked out of the dorms this upcoming year - I was getting complaint calls from the third floor (i live on the 4th, no one above us) when I played my promedias loud.

now that i have a much bigger setup, 4 floorstanders and a mean 12" sub, I might get calls from the second floor as well.... sigh.... i need to live on the first floor.

anyway, I played these guys with the receiver downstairs and boy do they sound goooooood. great bargain too! my friend was able to get them for me for $45 bucks each. so in the end, the difference between the cost of the promedia 4.1s and my new set is pretty much the receiver.

one thing i hate about auditioning speakers - why do these know-nothings always TURN THE VOLUME REALLY REALLY UNCOMFORTABLY LOUD?? I dont get it.... do they equate quality with sheer volume?

I don't understand bad/non audiophiles either. They love to blast music and blow their eardrums to smitherines, even if it means the speakers will distort. GRRRR. I have sworn never to be that ******* teen who drives down the streets, windows open, and music blasting.

----------------

On 7/24/2003 8:55:46 PM MD1032 wrote:

I don't understand bad/non audiophiles either. They love to blast music and blow their eardrums to smitherines, even if it means the speakers will distort. GRRRR. I have sworn never to be that ******* teen who drives down the streets, windows open, and music blasting.

----------------

Not everybody likes what you like.